Premed 101 Forums

Upgrading English Pre-Req At U of A

Guest Duo

Hi everyone,

I need to upgrade my english 101 mark, and would like some input on some of the upper english classes.

Did anyone happen to take eng 212, 388, 389, or 300?

I heard eng 212 wasn't so bad, or 300. Any input would be great.

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

i took both 388 and 389....both were great classes but it really depends on the proff. If you can get Dr. Jones or Wittman you're golden. Stay away from Dr. Gordon-Craig...he's a tough proff...cool guy in class but he marks hard. Hope that helps

• 3 weeks later...
Guest el pansito

I took Engl300.

I liked it, it felt like "storytime with Dr. Reimer." A lot of people hated the class, but mostly the arts students. The course is probably the most "sciency" you can get in an English course, and as long as you can memorize dates and facts, understand the basics of language structure (which you'll learn) and have enough research skills to be able to search through the online oxford english dictionary, you should be ok.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
Guest teamzissou

Hey,

I just had a question for those of you who are upgrading English - what kind of grade might need upgrading? I know that it depends on how well the person is doing in their other courses and how strong the rest of the application is. I'm expecting to get a B- or so. The rest of my application should be strong.

Normally, I know a B- is fine, but since English is a 6 credit pre-req and I will be applying in my second or third year (I haven't really decided yet), I thought it might have more of an effect on my application. Perhaps finals are getting to me, and I'm just getting way to worried about everything. Should I think about upgrading?

Guest el pansito

If the rest of your grades are fine it should be ok. The pre-req GPA is going down from 25% of your application to 15% for next year, so it's less important now. That said though, the averages are still ridiculously high for 2nd/3rd years so you really can't afford to slip in anything if you want to get in early. Good luck!

take it from someone who had to exact same line of reasoning when i was in your shoes....upgrade it now or else it will come back to bite you on the ass later...trust me. English 101 is notorious for dropping GPAs. I dont' know if its because people don't take it seriously or that all the proffs suck ass. I found the higher level english classes really enjoyable once you learn the trick. I went from having a 6 in 101 to having an A minus and an A in 2 higher level courses. Trust me, you don't want the commitee to have anything they can pick you apart on. Remember, due to the high volume of candidates they are trying to look for reasons to eliminate candidates so every little thing counts.

Guest muchdutch
people don't take it seriously or that all the profs suck ass

I know you probably didn't mean to generalize, but there are a few professors out there who are gems. My 101 prof for example was great! I hated english in high school and totally dreaded it in uni. She explored many different genres and really encouraged our writing (imagine that! I actually don't suck as a writer - take that English 30 prof!). I didn't really put an excessive amount of effort into it and did well - well enough that I don't have to redo it anyway. So I think it mostly depends on your prof, not how seriously you take it. But yes, those good profs are very hard to come by...

you are so lucky that you had a good one. I don't think i've met anyone who liked their 101 proff. Having a good proff is so important in English. My 388 and 389 proffs were awesome. You're right i didn't mean to generalize but good proffs are hard to find.

Guest teamzissou

Thanks for the responses! My prof is a great guy, but an insanely tought marker (the highest mark in our class going into the final is a B+), which is unfortunate. An A- or B+ is still within the realm of possibility for me, depending on how well I do on the final. Maybe he's just saving all the good marks for the final :\ . Oh well, I'll see how it turns out. If the mark is too low, I'll look into some of these courses you guys mentioned.

Thanks again.

Archived