Premed 101 Forums

One more week, how many more tests should I do?

polarbear89

Hey, I'm writing my mcat on the 23rd and have done a bunch of practice tests but my scores seem to fluctuate a lot.

Diag (aamc 11) in june: 7/11/8

TPR end of july: 9/9/10

During August

AAMC 3: 9/11/11

AAMC 4:12/11/11

AAMC 5: 11/12/10

AAMC 7 (yesterday) :10/11/11

AAMC 8 (today): 12/13/11

I seem to fluctuate a lot in physical science but BS and VR seem relatively consistent.

I only have AAMC 9 and 10 left to do and some TPR tests. Should I just complete the last 2 AAMCs and perhaps retake 11 and spend the rest of my time on content review? Or should I continue to take full lengths everyday/every other day (with the TPR and remaining AAMCs) until the day of my test?

I don't want to get too burnt out but I'm also finding it very difficult to focus for so long and maybe it would be best to build endurance? Also, any tips for focusing? I tend to finish early in BS and VR and can't focus when trying to review and just end up ending my section 10-20 minutes early which definitely results in careless mistakes. I know my practice scores are quite decent but I'm concerned that this will bite me in the butt on the real thing which seems to be a lot harder.

Any input would be appreciated :) This is my first time writing and I have very little science background and am beginning to freak out haha

Hey, I'm writing my mcat on the 23rd and have done a bunch of practice tests but my scores seem to fluctuate a lot.

Diag (aamc 11) in june: 7/11/8

TPR end of july: 9/9/10

During August

AAMC 3: 9/11/11

AAMC 4:12/11/11

AAMC 5: 11/12/10

AAMC 7 (yesterday) :10/11/11

AAMC 8 (today): 12/13/11

I seem to fluctuate a lot in physical science but BS and VR seem relatively consistent.

I only have AAMC 9 and 10 left to do and some TPR tests. Should I just complete the last 2 AAMCs and perhaps retake 11 and spend the rest of my time on content review? Or should I continue to take full lengths everyday/every other day (with the TPR and remaining AAMCs) until the day of my test?

I don't want to get too burnt out but I'm also finding it very difficult to focus for so long and maybe it would be best to build endurance? Also, any tips for focusing? I tend to finish early in BS and VR and can't focus when trying to review and just end up ending my section 10-20 minutes early which definitely results in careless mistakes. I know my practice scores are quite decent but I'm concerned that this will bite me in the butt on the real thing which seems to be a lot harder.

Any input would be appreciated :) This is my first time writing and I have very little science background and am beginning to freak out haha

Hey,

Judging by your fluctuating PS scores, I would probably focus on PS content review. Ultimately, in my humblest of opinions, if you are a strong test taker, it will be your understanding of the content that will really help you. Do you tend to notice a pattern in which areas of PS you tend to do more poorly? If so, invest some time and do some review/practice of those sections. If you have time, also do an AAMC or two, but I think if you're not 100% on the content, that should be your first priority.

P.S. Great verbal scores! Woot.

Do you guys have any suggestions for what you felt contributed to your score increases? I'm trying to study the content and do the practice exams but my scores haven't been increasing, any suggestions? I don't understand why the average score of the mcat is so low and all the posters are doing so well, I don't know what I'm doing wrong :(.

Thanks alot!

Honestly? Read really carefully. I have very little science background but I can find a lot of hints in a passage and make "educated guesses" that seem to be working for me based on the basic stuff I've managed to cram into my head. Also, you may want to just focus on content for a bit and then do a practice exam. Are you using AAMC exams or TPR or Kaplan? I found the TPR exams really difficult compared to the AAMC ones.

I'm mostly using AAMC ones, I'll try to focus on content and more memorizing maybe, I'm really not sure what I should do, I might not be used to taking multiple choice tests, I'm not really sure what it is, I'll try to focus on content Thanks! If any other suggestions come to your mind later on let me know if you can :).

Did you take a prep course? Did you find it helpful?

Archived