Premed 101 Forums

Can we do US electives? Thoughts / barriers / implications?

Hey all - yes I'm just starting school but the conversation just happened so I figured what the hell its on my mind and I don't know the answer.

An ER doc from a great trauma center said he'd love to have me come by (and would sign off on it, etc.) for an elective. Is this even possible? Or advisable?

Lurked a bunch and couldn't find any info on Canadian students rotating in the US. Thanks for any insight!

If you're meds 2016 I'd suggest this:

Do your US elective during the summer between M1 and M2. You need to keep in touch with your mentor, and spending a few weeks with him/her after first year meds is a great way to do this. After that (M2-M3) you can just keep that connection via the occasional email.

Use some of your other time to explore other specialties. If you still really like trauma and emergency medicine and if this doc truly is from a high-profile American hospital, do a second rotation through there early in CC4 and get a letter attesting to your long-term dedication and to the improvement you have shown during your career as a medical student. Keep your ears open for opportunities to get on publications, etc as well.

It's possible, probably not super advisable if you want to match in EM in Canada; you'd better spend your time doing electives in Canada then.

I'm not sure what I'd like to match in - EM is one of the few specialties I've had the opportunity to play with prior to med school (shadowed, worked, and EMS experience) and I do really like it. That said I just think it'd be a cool opportunity if possible regardless of what I ultimately decide, I do know I'd find it worthwhile. I'd get to stay in Miami, see a lot of things I wouldn't see in Windsor (this place gets 60k Emerg visits per year) and get a taste of how things are done in a different system, within a specialty I already know I at least enjoy currently.

If you're meds 2016 I'd suggest this:

Do your US elective during the summer between M1 and M2. You need to keep in touch with your mentor, and spending a few weeks with him/her after first year meds is a great way to do this. After that (M2-M3) you can just keep that connection via the occasional email.

Use some of your other time to explore other specialties. If you still really like trauma and emergency medicine and if this doc truly is from a high-profile American hospital, do a second rotation through there early in CC4 and get a letter attesting to your long-term dedication and to the improvement you have shown during your career as a medical student. Keep your ears open for opportunities to get on publications, etc as well.

I love this idea, thanks!

Archived