Premed 101 Forums

Bond Energies

dazzle

Ok, I have a quick question but it has been bothering me.

So we say that a stable bond is at low energy. But it requires a lot of energy to break it. Is this level of energy related mathematically to the energy required to break the bond?

Another question, well, I just learned this... the heat of combustion of a molecule is proportional to the instability of the molecule. I find that weird since the most stable bond the one that needs the greatest amount of energy to break. How does that work?

Not sure if my explanation is right but, I believe the low potential energy that you are talking about is inherently in the bond. Now the energy to GET to that conformation is high (think of it as activation energy). Because the molecule is so stable, that means it would be bound tighter. Since this is the case, you would require MORE energy to break it.

Ok, I have a quick question but it has been bothering me.

So we say that a stable bond is at low energy. But it requires a lot of energy to break it. Is this level of energy related mathematically to the energy required to break the bond?

Another question, well, I just learned this... the heat of combustion of a molecule is proportional to the instability of the molecule. I find that weird since the most stable bond the one that needs the greatest amount of energy to break. How does that work?

low energy MOLECULE = stable bonds = need High energy to break the INTRAmolecular bonds

heat of combustion is proportional to the instability of molecule =

heat of combustion is the enregy released when a molecule undergoes combustion. The higher the instability, the more energy will be released when combustion happens. I think this statement is indeed correct.

Archived