Premed 101 Forums

UofA curriculum

Guest ssc427

Thank you, can you please tell me what the anatomy course is like? Do you do dissections of the entire cadaver or only portions or none at all? How many students per cadaver?

Guest Lactic Folly

We dissect the entire cadaver (thorax in CPR block, abdomen in GI, pelvis in Repro, upper and lower limbs in MSK, neuroanatomy and head&neck in Neuro). The groups are 8 per cadaver in first year and 6 per cadaver in second year, but often students will come in on their own or in smaller groups for further study, as the lab is always open.

Thanks again. Many schools have a 8 students/cadaver ratio. This seems a bit high to me (considering 5 years ago it was 4 - and in some US schools it is 3). In your experience are you able to do enough 'hands on' to really get a feel for things? I guess, as you say, you can go back on your own later if needs be.

Guest summervirus

From my experience, at first, a lot of students are quite keen on participating in the dissections. So it gets crowded. But, as time goes on, more and more students disappear, become disinterested, and opt to study on their own time outside of the scheduled lab. By the middle of 2nd year, I literally had the cadaver all to myself because nobody else showed up!

Guest Lactic Folly

Well, in MSK it's not so bad since it works out to be 3 on the left limb and 3 on the right limb. In my opinion, the most important factor with regards to getting the most out of the labs is prior preparation - know what everything is and what you expect to see. As for hands-on and getting a feel for things, I find that mostly comes in when the structure is isolated and everyone can take turns looking, tugging, poking, etc. Cutting the skin and clearing away the fat can be fun, and everyone should take a turn, but it's not essential for anyone to spend a lot of time doing that to be a decent dissector.

Archived