Premed 101 Forums

Special Consideration Letters

Guest westcoaster

Guest westcoaster

Hey, just wondering if there was anyone else out there who wrote a letter of special consideration to the U of A this application that has heard back regarding their status?? Thanks.

Guest muchdutch

I did. I just got my letter yesterday. It said that my special consideration was denied but that I'm still being considered for 2006. Unfortunately for me, I'm thinking I probably have a snowball's chance in hell since I don't have a 4.0 GPA and I am self-supporting so I don't have much time to volunteer at many different places (only 1 or 2). While I think my personal attributes are quite good, there is much more weighting on the cGPA and pre-reqs.

This leads me to assume that you also are awaiting the status of a special consideration letter?

Guest ComplacentTragedy

My special consideration came in today. They are allowing me an interview, which was nice of them. I'm in Saskatchewan, if that helps you at all.

hello there,

what do you guys mean with 'special consideration letter'? Did you send an addtional letter to the office explaining your situation? or are you guys referring to the extra space that was left for comments in the online application?

The reason I am asking is that I am also in a similar situation (supporting myself, work and family and not a 4.0 GPA etc). I wanted to write about this to the admissions but couldn't find an appropriate place to put it in the application.

thank you, pari

Yes - you can send an extra letter explaining your situation and ask them to overlook GPA or, in my case I was able to get them to waive the stats requirement since I taught 2nd year stats (but never took it).

Problem is that the committee met last week (and the letters were due Nov 15th) so you might be out of luck for this year. I think it's very cool that Alberta has this and makes me want to attend this school!

Ditto to having kids etc...

Guest muchdutch

I'm not sure if it will apply to having kids and going to school. Plenty of people do this. But you lose nothing in submitting your letter, and if you work it properly and bring up all the right points, you may be granted an interview. My letter was rejected, but I'm still being considered in the 2006 appication cycle, so like I said before - you lose nothing in submitting a letter.

I am quite sorry for myself.... I missed this option though and hitting my head against the wall right now... I just called the office and, of course, it is too late to send any letters now. This option was really what I needed; but, I have included a long comment (about a page long) in the online application about some of the difficulties I have faced as an undergrad. I have not heard anything from the office yet. I wonder whether they will consider my comments. I basically explained my situation as being responsible for supporting myself and said about my family, relatively recent immigrant, learning the language etc etc. My GPA and MCAT is not in the most competitive range though and I am afraid my chances are quite thin. What a pitty I missed this letter option.

regards, pari

Guest muchdutch

They will still consider your comments, I'm sure, because they are still within the application. They just won't be considered for 'special consideration'. With the special consideration letters, it's a way to explain your poor performance due to extenuating circumstances in one area. If you are granted your special consideration, you automatically get an interview.

But don't worry, you are still being considered and I'm sure (or I'd like to think) that your comments will have an impact. Also, don't forget that if they're average that they accept isn't 4.0 (which it's not), then that means that SOME people must get in with the lowest acceptable stats and they run the range from there up to 4.0.

Archived