Premed 101 Forums

Reference letters for Grad Students

I just recently graduated from a 2 year, research-based MSc. Im wondering whether I should focus my reference letters on the most recent two years of my life, or whether I also need an undergrad reference. I would say that my life in undergrad was just as balanced in academics/ extracurriculars as it is now in grad school. Of course in my ABS and essays I will be mentioning accomplishments at the undergrad level, but I'm hesitant to have for example my 4th year honours thesis supervisor write me a reference letter when my MSc supervisor will also be writing one. Any suggestions?! :D:cool::P

Being a grad student allows you to have additional letters so just go for where you think the best ones will come from - I believe you are allowed up to 4 additional letters, this may have changed. When I applied I had a total of 4 letters, three of which came from thesis supervisors. I had meetings with all of them, gave them my updated CV and asked them to balance the letters so they weren't entirely academic. The better your supervisor knows you (professionally and personally) the more balanced the letter will be.

U of T allows you to add on 3 reference letters (that is, in addition to the 3 OMSAS letters). I personally used all references from grad school for the additional reference letters. THe OMSAS reference letters I used my supervisor and 2 volunteer-related references to get it varied and because schools other than U of T would look at them. Although graduate studies and research work can reveals characteristics that medical schools are looking for, I don't think having 3 OMSAS reference letters that are grad school/research related is that appealing... because why not just go do your PhD and stay in research if you're so amazing at it...

I agree that the additional letters due in December should definitely be graduate school based. But in regards to the 3 OMSAS letters I'm thinking my supervisor ( PhD) , a clinician I've shadowed and worked on a trial with ( MD/ PhD ) and then the director of my graduate department for some leadership initiatives I've been involved in. I think credibility is key!!

According to U of T website...

'The three reference letters submitted to OMSAS will be used by the Graduate Review Committee. In addition, graduate candidates may submit a maximum of three additional letters of reference regarding their graduate work. One of the letters submitted (whether with the initial OMSAS letters, or in this supplemental package) must be provided by your graduate supervisor, and must comment on your progress in your graduate program and confirm your expected date of completion.'

Guest Fresh_Underwear

From my last cycle application, I wanted to include letters from my former team captain in my additional letters, but they were refused. This question was also raised by someone on the blog and a similar response was given.

Basically, additional 3 letters have to be from graduate level references. So if you want to include letters from non-graduate level, you need to submit those to OMSAS.

From my last cycle application, I wanted to include letters from my former team captain in my additional letters, but they were refused. This question was also raised by someone on the blog and a similar response was given.

Basically, additional 3 letters have to be from graduate level references. So if you want to include letters from non-graduate level, you need to submit those to OMSAS.

So to clarify, the first 3 are non-grad related. The other 3 are to be related to your graduate studies.

Guest Fresh_Underwear

Yea

First three are OMSAS reference letters (can be grad or non-grad related, but I'd recommend you keep your non-grad related ones here)

Other three are grad supp reference letters (have to be grad-related)

Yea

First three are OMSAS reference letters (can be grad or non-grad related, but I'd recommend you keep your non-grad related ones here)

There's a bit of a problem with this plan. Queen's University School of Medicine needs your graduate supervisor to be one of the three main referees for OMSAS. :(

So if you want to apply to both U of T and Queen's as a grad student, you need to include your grad supervisor or director in OMSAS referees. This means you could sneak in another grad letter for the additional three you can add to U of T.

Yea

Are you saying that a grad student must send in 6 letters? Or it is UP to 6 letters?

3-undergrad

3-grad

Are you saying that a grad student must send in 6 letters? Or it is UP to 6 letters?

3-undergrad

3-grad

Up to, but it is in your best interest, obviously, to maximize the number of letters so you're either on par or above the playing field of the average Graduate Applicant.

Question: If I'm in a course-based master's where my research component (and hence referees from supervisors) start in my second year (post-application), do I have to request letters from instructors of courses I did well in?

• 2 weeks later...
So to clarify, the first 3 are non-grad related. The other 3 are to be related to your graduate studies.

Except other schools do not allow additional letters. My poor advisor has agreed to write 2 letters, 1 based on general application and the second focused on graduate work.

Though its a little late in the game to be thinking about such things.

Archived