Premed 101 Forums

Question: Non-Academic Activities description formatting

Hi guys, first time applying to UBC, and not quite sure what they are looking for from the description. From their help guide, it seems that they like to know about concrete contributions and accomplishments than what you showed through the activity. Relevant Section:

"In general, we are interested in your particular role in an activity and the contribution you made to the activity or through the activity. Giving us a clear, specific description of the context, duties, and people involved in the activity will help us evaluate this section more accurately than a summary of what you learned from the activity. However, if you have an activity in which it seems more appropriate to discuss what you got out of the activity, please feel free to do so. You will not be penalized."

The kind of description I'm more used to writing is something like "I demonstrated Trait A through Action B." Here, however, I'm not so sure that it's the way to go. The character limit means that I can't relate to as many actions if I describe the traits that I want to show. As well, would the adcom prefer to make its own judgement regarding what you experiences show, as opposed to you telling them? Instead, I'm thinking of formatting them like "I accomplished A through Action B" or just plain, "I did actions ABC". Then again , maybe writing like 10 entries, with three of these sentences each, will be too repetitive...

So, especially recent applicants, how do you guys write your descriptions?

As well, do you guys include casual sports on your applications? How do you describe them?

Thank you.

i have to say i'm finding it pretty hard to show how much i learned/exactly how i accomplished things in 350 characters. i feel like i use up all 350 just describing in basic terms what i did w/ one sentence 'showing what i learned'.

in terms of sports i've included an intramural i was part of for 3 years... i'd say if it's something you did on a regular/somewhat structured basis, why not include it if you have the space.

i have to say i'm finding it pretty hard to show how much i learned/exactly how i accomplished things in 350 characters. i feel like i use up all 350 just describing in basic terms what i did w/ one sentence 'showing what i learned'.

Did they up it to 350 characters? It was only 250 characters last year! Just be creative and you can certainly fit the activity description and accomplishments within the 350-character limit. :D

Hmm, do u guys fill out something for every available slot? (like, 3 leadership, 5 capacity to work with others, 12 diversity, etc..) If so, what did you put down besides the straight-up volunteering experiences that you think might not be obviously relevant at first glance?

Did they up it to 350 characters? It was only 250 characters last year! Just be creative and you can certainly fit the activity description and accomplishments within the 350-character limit. :D

yup it's 350 :)

thanks for the encouragement. after filling out my 10th or so i seem to be getting the hang of it. STAYING AWAY FROM ADJECTIVES AT ALL COSTS, lol. the occasional '&' sign gets me through.

thanks for the encouragement. after filling out my 10th or so i seem to be getting the hang of it. STAYING AWAY FROM ADJECTIVES AT ALL COSTS, lol. the occasional '&' sign gets me through.

Hm, why stay away from adjectives? I mean, while they take up space, I think they help the descriptions leave a stronger impression o.o''

Well, I'm applying now as well lol, so it's just what I think. Do you feel that more content trumps being more descriptive?

Hm, why stay away from adjectives? I mean, while they take up space, I think they help the descriptions leave a stronger impression o.o''

Well, I'm applying now as well lol, so it's just what I think. Do you feel that more content trumps being more descriptive?

i think overall it depends on the activity. there are some activities where i really only had one or two main tasks so there i feel like description > content. but then there are a couple activities that i have/had been involved in for an extended time and have done, say, 3 or 4 things i'd really like to mention. there i feel that it's better to go for content > description.

mainly though i'm not hating on adjectives, i promise :) --it's more me trying to be aware of my style of writing (i can VERY easily be too wordy--my undergrad is in a humanities program so i am forever writing essays and forever crying at 4 am the night before they're due trying to get the word count down to something reasonable).

i think overall it depends on the activity. there are some activities where i really only had one or two main tasks so there i feel like description > content. but then there are a couple activities that i have/had been involved in for an extended time and have done, say, 3 or 4 things i'd really like to mention. there i feel that it's better to go for content > description.

mainly though i'm not hating on adjectives, i promise :) --it's more me trying to be aware of my style of writing (i can VERY easily be too wordy--my undergrad is in a humanities program so i am forever writing essays and forever crying at 4 am the night before they're due trying to get the word count down to something reasonable).

Hm.. yeah that's something I might consider lol. Personally, even if I have done more in a particular experience, I've still trying been picking out two or three main things and describe them really well. However, I do think your strategy has merit as well...

Honestly, I'm more surprised that there isn't a "how do I write non-academic activities" thread, cuz I imagine it'd be on every applicant's mind...

STAYING AWAY FROM ADJECTIVES AT ALL COSTS, lol. the occasional '&' sign gets me through.

No, don't skip the adjectives! A good adjective can make the whole description seem worthy and touching. If people could do it in 250 characters last year, the 100 more characters this year can certainly give you room for many meaningful adjectives.

Honestly, I'm more surprised that there isn't a "how do I write non-academic activities" thread, cuz I imagine it'd be on every applicant's mind...

There were threads touching this subject. I can't remember exactly which ones, but people who got a high NAQ or who actually got in had unselfishly told their methods in those threads. An appropriate adjective at an appropriate time is one of the suggestions.

Archived