Premed 101 Forums

Applying to UBC - Where do I stand?

Hey guys, just wanted some second, third, fourth, fifth maybe sixth....opinions on my application. Not too sure if I would make the cut for an interview :/

Born Vancouver Resident, lived here all my life and currently at UBC.

Education:

-IB Diploma

-UBC B.Sc. - In fourth year now

-Medical Lab Assistant certification

Grades:

-Cumulative percentage of 85.0%

-Pre-Req. percentage of 85.25% - haven't done BIOC 302 yet

-MCAT - VR (9), PS (12), BS (13), WS (T)

ECs (highlights only)

-Plays and coaches basketball for kids and mentally handicapped

-Shadowed doctors in Mongolia

-Exec on a department society

-Lots of travel

Academic awards

-UBC Med SSRP

Employment

-Medical Lab assistant (phlebotomist) at C&W

-Research assistant at St. Paul's hospital laboratory (started recently)

-Basketball open gym supervisor (2 years, not current)

No Pubs :( as of yet

Really just want to know what other people think. Feel free to criticize or anything, I'm just really in the dark about my application and feel like so many people are above me.

Thanks for the help

Grades look great.

ECs seem to touch on all categories, though depending on your level of involvement and commitment one activity in each (or so) may not be enough.

Employment touches on leadership (depending on your roles and how you word them) and diversity (skills acquired).

UBC is definitely more GPA-centric these days...I think you'll get an interview.

Good luck.

Hey,

Looks pretty good. If you are entering your fourth year, do you have at least 90 credits? Have you looked at what your GPA and percent will be if you drop your lowest year? The other thing to consider is the amount of hours your dedicated to your EC's in relation to jobs, research, and course load.

In any event I think you have a solid shot at the interview. Your academics are solid and with dropping your lowest year you should be golden there. The only thing up in the air are your NAQs and who knows about those. There are people on this forum who have applied multiple times and added new extra curricular activities and actually decreased their scores. However, if you have enough activities to fill all the categories and have significant experiences you can in all likelihood sit comfortably but nothing is certain until you get your interview invite :)

A plus for you is your MCAT score, it seems that UBC is heading towards a GPA/MCAT approach for admissions. Your AQ/NAQ will get you in the door, but you most likely need a solid interview with a decent MCAT to land you an admission.

Best of luck!

Hey,

Looks pretty good. If you are entering your fourth year, do you have at least 90 credits? Have you looked at what your GPA and percent will be if you drop your lowest year? The other thing to consider is the amount of hours your dedicated to your EC's in relation to jobs, research, and course load.

In any event I think you have a solid shot at the interview. Your academics are solid and with dropping your lowest year you should be golden there. The only thing up in the air are your NAQs and who knows about those. There are people on this forum who have applied multiple times and added new extra curricular activities and actually decreased their scores. However, if you have enough activities to fill all the categories and have significant experiences you can in all likelihood sit comfortably but nothing is certain until you get your interview invite :)

A plus for you is your MCAT score, it seems that UBC is heading towards a GPA/MCAT approach for admissions. Your AQ/NAQ will get you in the door, but you most likely need a solid interview with a decent MCAT to land you an admission.

Best of luck!

I don't think fourth year students are eligible to have their worst year dropped. I think you need 90 credits with grades after dropping 30 credits, which means you would need at least 120 credits (i.e. finished four years)

Thanks for the tips.

Monty - yeah, they changed the rules because before, if you were in 4th year they would take your last 60 credits, but now it's if you complete all 120 credits. So I won't be eligible for that.

It is true though, I really have no idea what to expect, especially with the changes in recent years. Plus my aGPA is still below the average for IP even though my pre-reqs may balance it a bit.

Grades look great.

ECs seem to touch on all categories, though depending on your level of involvement and commitment one activity in each (or so) may not be enough.

Employment touches on leadership (depending on your roles and how you word them) and diversity (skills acquired).

UBC is definitely more GPA-centric these days...I think you'll get an interview.

Good luck.

GPA - 82%

prerequisit - 84.1%

NAQ - more than 3000 hrs

MCAT - 36P

fourth year applicant

Grades are decent, about average for applicants who get in, but not phenomenal.

Good MCAT overall - VR is a bit low but maybe the other sections make up for it.

ECs - depends on hours and level of commitment. Looks alright if each activity is significant, but again, not particularly outstanding (Unless you've been doing it for a really long time)

Employment looks fairly standard.

Overall, I think you have a fair shot, but don't get your hopes up. Shoot for the moon and try your best but don't be surprised if you don't get in. Heck, you might not even get an interview (I would think you probably will though).

GPA - 82%

prerequisit - 84.1%

NAQ - more than 3000 hrs

MCAT - 36P

fourth year applicant

GPA is a bit low and will likely bring you down.

3000 hours of NAQ is all fine and well, but that doesn't really tell us much. Is that 3000 hours when you traveled to Jamaica to party or is it in long term, committed, and involved activities than require leadership, compassion, and dedication?

MCAT seems good but it depends on the breakdown - is it a balanced 12/12/12, which would be great? Or is it 15/6/15, which might look a bit sketchy?

Overall, not enough details to give a good enough answer. If your NAQ is good enough to compensate for your low GPA and get you an interview, you might have a shot if your MCAT is balanced and you nail the interview.

GPA is a bit low and will likely bring you down.

3000 hours of NAQ is all fine and well, but that doesn't really tell us much. Is that 3000 hours when you traveled to Jamaica to party or is it in long term, committed, and involved activities than require leadership, compassion, and dedication?

MCAT seems good but it depends on the breakdown - is it a balanced 12/12/12, which would be great? Or is it 15/6/15, which might look a bit sketchy?

Overall, not enough details to give a good enough answer. If your NAQ is good enough to compensate for your low GPA and get you an interview, you might have a shot if your MCAT is balanced and you nail the interview.

Sorry, MCAT 11P/12/13 3000 hrs include long term & short term of activities: travelling, leadership, compassion, and dedication

And I heard that in 2015 written essays will not be requested in MCAT, is it true?

Thanks again for the feedback,

My Non-academics have been pretty long term, a couple hours a week. I have been coaching for 2 years, and also did some in high school in addition to supervising a basketball gym to win a volunteer service award from the City of Richmond (prior to me being hired at the community center). I recently began working with people with handicaps though. Began working in the society last year at the start of the school year - couple hundred hours spent with this organizing events, manning the office, preparing materials for fundraising etc. Have been playing on intramurals since first year.

I was hoping that what would stand out would be my certification - as it did require me to complete a program at TRU, making me certified to collect blood and process clinical samples etc. I have been working 8 hours a week during the school year, and did work full time last summer. In addition, I was hoping it would also add to "Capacity to Work with Others" as it does entail working with nurses, doctors and laboratory professionals in addition to providing care to any patients that may need bloodwork in the hospital (mostly children, handicapped, psychiatric patients, maternity, ER etc.)

In any case, hope this info gives a better picture.

Archived