Premed 101 Forums

Whats my GPA?

Casey

I am currently studying Health Sciences at Dawson College. I am considering applying outside-of-province to an american university come the start of next year.

All american universities seem to work on the GPA system. Is there any way to convert Percentage Grades to GPA?

My overall average for the first two semesters of CEGEP was 94.6% (fourteen classes). My science-only percentage grade is 93.8% (six classes).

Does a "4.0 GPA" mean 100%!?!?!?

No, 4.0 GPA does not equal 100% average :P The GPA (grade point average) scale is based on the use of letter grades, like A=4.0/B=3.0/C=2.0, by course, which are then used to give your numerical average. Thus, a 4.0 GPA means you only had A's! :) Obviously, cégeps here don't grade based on that grading scheme.

I'd say your best bet would be contacting the universities where you wish to apply and ask them the question yourself. I'm sure they are familiar with the cégep system (or will be afterwards thanks to you :)) and will be better equiped to help you figure this out the way that will be best for them :P

I am currently studying Health Sciences at Dawson College. I am considering applying outside-of-province to an american university come the start of next year.

All american universities seem to work on the GPA system. Is there any way to convert Percentage Grades to GPA?

My overall average for the first two semesters of CEGEP was 94.6% (fourteen classes). My science-only percentage grade is 93.8% (six classes).

Does a "4.0 GPA" mean 100%!?!?!?

American schools usually require a bachelor degree.

Leaving aside the higher cost of tuition, if you have an eye on medicine, by going to an American university, McGill will require MCAT whereas such is not the case if you do your undergrad in Canada. Consider carefully the disadvantages to your future and what you think you will achieve by going to a US university and whether this is really factual. You may be putting yourself at a serious disadvantage for no reason. Be careful what you wish for.

Leaving aside the higher cost of tuition, if you have an eye on medicine, by going to an American university, McGill will require MCAT whereas such is not the case if you do your undergrad in Canada. Consider carefully the disadvantages to your future and what you think you will achieve by going to a US university and whether this is really factual. You may be putting yourself at a serious disadvantage for no reason. Be careful what you wish for.

Also, what is considered a full-course load in the US is not recognized in Canada, which will cause a problem for a lot of schools.

The only thing I am worried about is that people often pin McGill for deflating grades. Won't this make it harder for me to get into a medical program?

I don't want to practice medicine in Quebec. I absolutely hate this place, and am going to leave as soon as I have the means to do so. I'd love to live anywhere else in Canada. If I get my education in Quebec, then leave for another part of Canada, will I need to complete this test in order to practice medicine (assuming I already have my diploma) - or is the MCAT irrelevant post-graduation?

• 2 weeks later...
The only thing I am worried about is that people often pin McGill for deflating grades. Won't this make it harder for me to get into a medical program?

I don't want to practice medicine in Quebec. I absolutely hate this place, and am going to leave as soon as I have the means to do so. I'd love to live anywhere else in Canada. If I get my education in Quebec, then leave for another part of Canada, will I need to complete this test in order to practice medicine (assuming I already have my diploma) - or is the MCAT irrelevant post-graduation?

It is irrelavent post-graduation.

Archived