Premed 101 Forums

Out-of-Province applicant

ntr

I have a 3.6 which is their oop min cutoff to apply but this means even if I have a 15 in verbal I still don't make the full review. They should seriously raise the min oop cutoff. Doesn't make sense

It doesn't seem fair, but they only allocate so many seats for OOP. I have about a 3.8 after dropping the worst year and an 11 in verbal reasoning. I would never make the cutoff so I am not going to apply. I hate the idea of a blind cutoff as I have really good EC's. In Canada there are large amounts of awesome applicants that don't get seats and it sucks. I hope I am fortunate enough to land a seat this year, but honestly at some point it is a bit of a lottery unless you have close to a 4.0 and 35+ MCAT, coupled with awesome interviewing skills and EC's that are original with a large time commitment. Or if you were a member of a minority with average statistics, that would do it to... :) Otherwise, persistence is the name of the game and a carefully worded autobiographical sketch!

If I were in their position and had to sift through about a 1000 applications for only like 20 seats I would also want a way to cut down on the numbers to save my administration costs...spending that much time giving everyone a full file review doesn't make sense for only 10% of the class. There are plenty of other schools who will like my stats though and plenty that will like that verbal score of yours. What was the rest of your MCAT like? With a 15 in verbal have you thought about McMaster?

If I remember correctly, it was said on the podcast that they will be setting the cut-off higher in the future to reflect the fact that you have no chance of getting in with the current cut-off of 3.6. So I guess that's good news for people who would rather save their money instead of applying with 0 chance of getting reviewed.

Lol, I didn't say I had a verbal score of 15, I was just saying if. But yea, I have no problem with them setting a blind cutoff. I was just saying that they shouldn't say ppl with 3.6 can apply knowing mathematically that they would never get their file looked out. They should raise the cutoff so people don't waste time.

It doesn't seem fair, but they only allocate so many seats for OOP. I have about a 3.8 after dropping the worst year and an 11 in verbal reasoning. I would never make the cutoff so I am not going to apply. I hate the idea of a blind cutoff as I have really good EC's. In Canada there are large amounts of awesome applicants that don't get seats and it sucks. I hope I am fortunate enough to land a seat this year, but honestly at some point it is a bit of a lottery unless you have close to a 4.0 and 35+ MCAT, coupled with awesome interviewing skills and EC's that are original with a large time commitment. Or if you were a member of a minority with average statistics, that would do it to... :) Otherwise, persistence is the name of the game and a carefully worded autobiographical sketch!

If I were in their position and had to sift through about a 1000 applications for only like 20 seats I would also want a way to cut down on the numbers to save my administration costs...spending that much time giving everyone a full file review doesn't make sense for only 10% of the class. There are plenty of other schools who will like my stats though and plenty that will like that verbal score of yours. What was the rest of your MCAT like? With a 15 in verbal have you thought about McMaster?

Lol, I didn't say I had a verbal score of 15, I was just saying if. But yea, I have no problem with them setting a blind cutoff. I was just saying that they shouldn't say ppl with 3.6 can apply knowing mathematically that they would never get their file looked out. They should raise the cutoff so people don't waste time.

Well, the school makes money for receiving an application that they won't even look at. Sounds like a good plan to me... (from their perspective), but yeah, they should.

lol my bad, I was going to make a memo to message you if I retook the MCAT for verbal tips. Yeah, I hate that schools post minimum requirements when they aren't minimums. Just a cash grab.

Archived