Premed 101 Forums

Calculating GPA

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about calculating my GPA using the OMSAS conversion scale. I converted my UfT % marks into the OMSAS values and then found the average using those for each year.

My sessional GPAs:

First year: 3.91

Second year: 3.84

Third year: 3.91

So to calculate my total GPA, I simply find the average of my three years?

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about calculating my GPA using the OMSAS conversion scale. I converted my UfT % marks into the OMSAS values and then found the average using those for each year.

My sessional GPAs:

First year: 3.91

Second year: 3.84

Third year: 3.91

So to calculate my total GPA, I simply find the average of my three years?

Did you convert individual marks to the GPA scores?

You have to convert every mark you've received and convert those to the scores on the conversion scale. Then you average everything.

Yupp, I did!

So for example, my second year grades:

88 3.90

86 3.90

85 3.90

83 3.70

85 3.90

78 3.30

85 3.90

93 4.00

90 4.00

90 4.00

I converted all those into the OMSAS values and did that for each year.

Would my GPA be considered competitive? It's not in the 3.9 range right now so that worries me a bit.

Yupp, I did!

So for example, my second year grades:

88 3.90

86 3.90

85 3.90

83 3.70

85 3.90

78 3.30

85 3.90

93 4.00

90 4.00

90 4.00

I converted all those into the OMSAS values and did that for each year.

Would my GPA be considered competitive? It's not in the 3.9 range right now so that worries me a bit.

UT looks at 3 years of GPA, so it's hard to tell whether you are competitive or not based on just the one year you've posted.

They will always look at the most recently completed year. Are you currently in fourth year? If you are, they will look at your best 2 years with your 3rd year being one of them. If you're done your fourth year, they'll look at your best 3 with your 4th year being one of them.

I think.

Edit: sorry I was referring to how UofT calculates it.

Oh I posted my marks from all three years too!

My GPA after averaging the three years, it comes out to be 3.89 (if they round) or else 3.88.

Based on previous stats, as long as you have a 3.85+ you should be fine given you have a decent DAT. Off course I'm just referring to an interview invite possibility. Getting accepted will also depend on your interview if you are lucky enough to land one :)

They will always look at the most recently completed year. Are you currently in fourth year? If you are, they will look at your best 2 years with your 3rd year being one of them. If you're done your fourth year, they'll look at your best 3 with your 4th year being one of them.

I think.

Edit: sorry I was referring to how UofT calculates it.

Where are you getting best 2 years from? I think you are confusing UT with UWO.

Where are you getting best 2 years from? I think you are confusing UT with UWO.

From their admissions guideline:

Note that courses taken in the academic year, during the proposed year of entry, will not be included in

the calculation of the applicant's cumulative GPA

The worst academic year will be dropped from the calculation of an applicant's cumulative grade point

average provided that (a) the applicant has completed four or more years of university education by May

31st of the proposed year of entry, and (B) the year with the lowest grades is not the applicant's most recently

completed year of study.

So... if you're in 4th year and you will finish by May 31st of the year of entry, you will have the luxury of dropping your worst year, but this 'worst' year can't be your most recently completed (3rd year). So basically, if you apply during your 3rd year, you 1st and 2nd year will be used for sure. If you apply during your 4th year, your 3rd and the better of the other two years will be used.

To OP: Very likely you will get an interview even with an average DAT.

Note that courses taken in the academic year, during the proposed year of entry, will not be included in

The worst academic year will be dropped from the calculation of an applicant's cumulative grade point

average provided that (a) the applicant has completed four or more years of university education by May

31st of the proposed year of entry, and (B) the year with the lowest grades is not the applicant's most recently

completed year of study.

So... if you're in 4th year and you will finish by May 31st of the year of entry, you will have the luxury of dropping your worst year, but this 'worst' year can't be your most recently completed (3rd year). So basically, if you apply during your 3rd year, you 1st and 2nd year will be used for sure. If you apply during your 4th year, your 3rd and the better of the other two years will be used.

Damn. That's called being detail-oriented :D . Thanks for clarifying. Learn something new everyday :)

completed year of study.

Thank you! Someone told me a score above 19 is a good DAT score. Would you agree?

Thank you! Someone told me a score above 19 is a good DAT score. Would you agree?

Tbh since different schools look at different sections of the DAT, it's best to just get the highest possible scores in every section. I know that's easier said than done, but if you're looking at Ontario schools, it seems like RC, AA, and PAT are the more important scores that they'll be looking at. The average of the admitted applicants have been 20+ in each of these sections. I'd say it's safe to aim for 21+ in these sections to buffer against any yearly fluctuations in the applicant pool. That's just what I think.

Archived