Premed 101 Forums

Rejection

Guest tallguy409

Guest tallguy409

I haven't recieved any type of letter from UofA regarding either acceptance or the waiting list, which pretty much means I've been rejected. I'd love to hear some feedback on this, because this honestly feels like $hit. I'm a 2nd year in-prov applicant, and while I know that I'm "only in second year" and that there's still "lots of time for me to get in", it still sucks. To anyone who has had the same experience as me, how did you deal with waiting another year? I am feeling so apathetic towards another $hitty year of $hitty undergrad. Thanks all for listening to my whine. :(

Guest MDmmmsure

I can understand that it must feel @#%$ to be in your situation. I remember after my first year of undergrad I was like "screw this!" I hated undergrad, the constant pressure to maintain a high average, courses I had to take but didn't want to, etc. So I applied to Ireland (medicine)....got accepted, but ultimately declined....at that point in my life I wasn't 100% sold on medicine. Three years later I am preparing to enter medical school (UofA), fully commited to learning this wonderful science/art. I cannot tell you how much I've grown these past three years, the experiences I've accumulated, and yes, the knowledge I now have from my undergrad classes.

Judging from your post I'm going to assume that you received an interview as a second year applicant, which is AMAZING....congrat's to you for that accomplishment. You should use this experience to drive your application for next year.....find out where you application was weak....was it experience, volunteer, interview, reference letters......figure out how you can strengthen your application.....upgrade pre-req's, re-write MCAT (however, I'm going to assume that your marks are stellar given that you interviewed as a second year:) ), pursue other extracurricular activities, etc.......You are in a very powerful position right now because you not only have the experience of this application, but also the opportunity to get feedback and find area's of weakness, something first time applicants won't have.

To be honest, I'm a lot like you.....I didn't enjoy undergrad as much as others...however, looking back, I'm thankful for the experience..... if you really hate it that bad, perhaps take a look at your program...is it THAT your studying or WHAT your studying.......perhaps you would be happier studying something else? I actually switched programs in my third year!

Good luck

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
Guest medsmurf

I knew a long time ago that I was rejected due to the lack of interview, but it is now official. I got my rejection letter today.

No worries though, U of A was definitely not at the top of my list. (Not to say it's not a good school but for personal reasons) :P

Guest MedAnxiety

Yeah, I remember in 2nd year I hated undergrad...being in bioc in all (no offense to you bioc majors) but I just wanted out sooo bad, but I didn't have the option to get out into medicine after 2nd year in BC (no chance as OOP for UofA). So I just switched faculties to pharmacology... and 3rd year was awesome...but 4th year was just a waste of time... and in a way, i kept thinking that undergrad was a waste of time because by that time, i was pretty sure i wanted to go into medicine. But really, it's not all about the classes (I hope i'm making sense...). I realized that because I had more time in undergrad, i was able to pursue other things like my interests, volunteer, work experience, travel and just do crazy a$$ things that I would never have thought of doing if i were crazily busy in med school.

And like MDmmmsure said, it is such an accomplishment to have gotten to the interview stage in 2nd year, u shouldn't be discouraged or depressed. It means your application will improve for the future since you get all of the feedback from this past application process, putting you at an advantage from other applicants. So really, maybe change your major and take some interesting electives and just enjoy your free time as an undergrad as much as possible because i'm sure once you start your life as a med student, your schedule will not be as flexible.

I hope my ramble made sense....sorry..LONG day (and it's only 1:50pm)

Archived