Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist

Guest pinkmango2005

Guest pinkmango2005

Hi,

I don't have any news on the waitlist (other than the fact that I'm on it!) but if anyone else does please post it here! Anyone that's giving up their spot please let us know too :)

Guest Braveheart

Yes do let us know if anyone is giving up their spot... if anyone needs reasons as to why they should choose another school over UofA as well, I can help in that decision making process;)

Guest med2006

hi guys

I recieved admission as an OOP today (funny coz I got no phone call). However, I will be declining my offer. So another spot opens up. Best of luck to you guys.

Med2006

Guest med2006

hey house

I am still deciding between Ottawa, Toronto, and Western.

I really liked Alberta and actually would have liked to come, but for personal reasons I will stay down in Ontario.

Med2006

Guest UofAchica

Hi,

I believe the people that got acceptances were given a certain amount of time (2 weeks?) to confirm whether they wanted to keep their spot or not, correct? If someone declines their spot right away (as I know some people have already decided to go elsewhere) will they call the next person on the waitlist right away or will they wait until the 2 week deadline and make all the calls at once? I can't stop obsessing about this whole waitlist thing and how it works. U of A is by far my top choice and a lot of my summer plans are hingeing on not having to go to U of C. I also want to tell my parents when to expect a call since I'm not going to be here. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also, has anyone called to find out how many people on the waitlist?

I think I may just give them a call and see if they'll tell me. If I do, I'll post the info here.

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

UofA chica,

Are you OOP in IP? You would likely have to call to find out how many people are waitlisted, but I'm not entirely sure if they release that info - guess you'll find out!

As far as I know, they call waitlisted applicants as positions become available...

Good Luck!

Guest UofAchica

Hi Jenn!

I'm in province. Unfortunately, didn't get a chance to call in today as I was pretty swamped at work. I'm heading out for holidays this weekend so I probably won't get a chance to call anytime soon. Oh well...at least it will take my mind off the silly waitlist and let me move on with my life :) This has to be one of the most frustrating things ever...but at least I know I'm not alone ( ha ha...although if I WAS alone on the waitlist that would make my chances MUCH better, huh?). Anyways, I'm going to try and check this board while I'm away so keep posting waitlist news!

Guest Apna

Unfortunately, waitlistees have to wait an indefinite amount of time.. it's aggravating but then so rewarding when it comes through. Last year, I wasn't accepted off the OOP waitlist until early-to-mid-July :eek It's a matter of occupying yourselves with other activities (and the occasional rugby tackle of your mailman every morning) to endure the wait.

Realistically, you should all be super proud of your accomplishments to get this far (so far). How big of a discrepancy do you think really exists between the first-round acceptances and the next 25 or so people down the list? Likely not much. Anyways, hold your heads up high and I hope to meet all of you at the end of the summer... best of luck and most of all ENJOY YOUR SUMMER!

Guest house

I was just talking to a friend and she told me that someone told her (greaaaaaaaaaat) that there is both a 'wait-list' and an 'alternate list' I honestly thought they were the same thing?? Does anyone else know about this?? What does your letter say?

Guest chushmy

I thought they were the same thing as well! My letter says I've been placed on the "alternate list," what does your's say house?

Guest Braveheart

What?! The Waiting list and the Alternate list are not the same thing?! I thought they were... what is the difference? I received a letter saying that I was on the "alternate list" and had to send in a form to verify that I wanted to stay on the alternate list.

Guest MedAnxiety

hmm...I have a pretty good feeling it's the same thing...judging by last year's posts. It's a nice euphemism ain't it?

Good luck guys. I'm sure the list will start moving soon!

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Hey,

They mean the same thing, but just be aware there is one list for OOP, one for 2/3rd students, and one for 4+ year students...

Otherwise, there is no difference between "waitlist" and "alternate list".

Good Luck, hope this helps!!

Guest chushmy

Braveheart did your letter say that you must submit official transcripts "within 5 days of the date stated above?" The date at the top of my letter was May 30th so 5 days would be June 4th, but this doesn't make sense since the deadline for transcripts is supposed to be June 15th and I didn't even receive the letter until June 1st! Am I just misinterpreting something???

Also, does anyone know how many people are usually on the OOP waitlist aka alternate list? Thanks.

Guest house

haha oh god! sorry i didnt mean to confuse everyone. i was confused, and i thought they were the same thing but i was just double checking cuz this person was acting like they were different things. my letter says 'alternate list'.

thanks for the info cowgirl_jenn.

my letter didnt say anything about having to submit final transcripts within 5 days....

Guest Braveheart

Chushmy,

No my letter actually didn't mention anything about needing to hand a second copy of my trancripts in... I too assumed that it would be due by June 15. I would probably give them a call to verify it though. If they need it right away I'm sure you can tell them your situation and they would understand.

Hope we all get off the waiting list (aka "alternate list") soon!

Guest brunchrunner

hey guys,

i just declined my offer (the form should arrive in Edmonton today) - so there will be another spot opening up soon!

best of luck to everyone! :D

B.

Guest chushmy

Thanks Braveheart. I think I will call them today or tomorrow to clear up the confusion. I would hate to lose my seat due to a late transcript!:\

Hey Guys,

I sent my response in the mail a few days ago declining UofA's offer. I'm an OOP. Good luck! I hope some people on this board get the spots that are opening up. :)

Archived