Premed 101 Forums

chances for average IMG

icy112

Hi

let me introduce my self

I'm sixth year medical student who is going to graduate in the next year

i wasn't thinking about get resident outside my home country (Syria) but because of the the war and the bad situation and the lack of hospitals here

I'm thinking about getting resident out side my homeland

i choose Canada thought it's a short way to get resident ( i still think it's short way :) )

but the biggest fear is the matching and the carms rules

i mean how they evaluate the applicant and how i can get position in resident in spite of the huge number of applicants and the limited positions available for IMGs

i Mean if i score high in MCCEE ( like above 400 ) and good scores in MCCQE part 1 and two and if i did some researches when i get to Canada

is that enough to get a position in the residency programs ?

(there is no special university in my mind & i don't care if it's in rural area or French or English speaking area because i speak the both languages very good )

(of course i will get permanent residency in Canada and it's easy cause a lot of my relatives gets it very easily )

or i still need the experience that the older doctors that spent some years working in their homeland before applying to the exams and carms have a better chance than me ????

Do i need to do step 1 & 2 to shine my CV and it will give me advantage in the carms

what other things that can help me getting position in residency ?

I'm sorry if you get bored with my questions

but I'm really confused now after changing my future plan 360 degree

should i find another country with more facilities ???

and if there is one can you enlighten me ?

I would say your chances are slim to none, but it is still worth a shot. If you did score well on the EE (like >400 as you said) and the fact that you're a fresh graduate might help. Having letters from Canadian staff is also helpful, if you can do an observership or something.

What about working in the US? Can you get a J1 visa or a green card? I worked with a Syrian resident in the US a few months ago, he was really good.

At any rate I hate to see what's going on in your country right now and I hope you can figure something out. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
i don't like to study step 1 because now I'm in my final year and all the subjects are clinical

i think about studying step 2 (kaplan) with Toronto notes

but I'm still very confused

any other ideas ???

It's a long and difficult process to obtain a Canadian residency which is why leviathan brought up writing the Step since there are many more residency spots available in the States. At the same time it's becoming increasingly difficult to obtain a residency in the States as well, but if you write the step at least you have more options.

• 3 weeks later...

I would write Step 1, Step 2, and 3 if I were you. I moved to the US for med school. In fact, there is a really big Syrian community where I live. So many of them are doctors and residents.

Even with the decreasing number of residency spots available, there's still plenty of opportunity to match here for IMG's with good board scores and research experience. But that window is getting smaller as time goes.

IMO, the medical profession is Canada is kind of closed off to most people. It's just a hard system to get into. It would be much easiar for you to get a residency here in the US.

• 5 months later...

Archived