Premed 101 Forums

U of Alberta's Dental Program

Guest predent2003

Guest predent2003

Hi BBB and all of you whose's in U of A,

Would you like to share with us something about the school's program?

ie. when do students first start dental training, tuition cost, quality of education, duration of acedemic terms.....etc

And most importantly, how do you guys like it?

Guest Berland

well, I've only been here for a few months, but...

-The Med school part can be tedious at times, but it's P/F and the competition level seems to be less than undergrad so far (only 2 tests in).

-We have dental anatomy this semester, we do wax up's during lab time and the rest of it on our own time. Oral biology is during the winter term. The real dentistry doesn't start untill summer term.

-only 6wk off in the summer kinda blows, but it is better than 5 years of dental school.

-tools are $10000 in first year, tuition is just under $17000

-Our class is pretty fun, definitely a mix of people. Lot's of people complain that we don't get any recognition as a profession during the med school part but I could care less.

It looks like this school is alot stronger in academics than it is in actual dental work. I hear the eaton prize has gone to a U of A student 5 of the last 8 years, but I haven't confirmed it or anything.

Berland

Guest toothy jr

> only 6wk off in the summer kinda blows, but it is better

> than 5 years of dental school.

hmm I think the only school with 5yr program is the McGill Dent-P, which is more like a year of undergrad added to the usual 4 years.

U of A schedule:

www.dent.ualberta.ca/time...hedule.pdf

My school (UWO):

www.fmd.uwo.ca/dentistry/...es2003.pdf

We are also 4 years with finals in May, and in 4th year the exams are in April. Unfortunately since we learn so much less academic information we don't know how to fix our patients' teeth--other than telling them to brush more often. :)

Guest whatever

I think we have pretty cool dental and medical classes this year. For this triple I's block (infection, inflammation, immunity), the groups' presentations this morning were a blast. Laughing all the way~~~ "Honey bee orgies", priapism, pedicure's transgenders, Die~rrhea privates, CIA, preceptors' imitation in Mexico water, baby tooth eruption, detective, immuno-wrestlers' match... Wish we video-taped it.

Hey, Berland, your first guess is wrong too. Let's try our second guess. I guess it starts with an A?

Guest whatever

I feel like giving up..... :(

There is no way for me to finish reading yellow-pages-sized notes in one day. Haven't even finished those new lectures after midterm test. I have to count on my memory T and memory B cells.....for those previous lectures.... Feel stressed. :x We don't even have sample questions to prepare for the final exam.

Archived