Premed 101 Forums

Grad Students?

Guest elaineli315

Guest elaineli315

I am a second year masters student at UofT. Just wonder if there are lots of other like me out there applying this year. Anyone has idea how the schools take into account grad courses and thesis work? Let me know if you are in grad school too (or have been in grad school and now accepted into dentistry).

Guest LestatZinnie

i'm sorry i can't really answer your inquiry but the rumor i've heard is that undergrad work is often weighed more heavily, but then different schools have different philosophies. if you check stats for UBC the entrance rate for grad students is consistent at 1 in 3 for the last 2 yrs.

my question: does u of t or other ontario med/dent schools have the policy of not admitting grad students that has not completed their degree. i know at UBC, if you're a grad a student and have not completed your thesis then they will not consider your admission. they do this to discourage ppl in grad school from jumping the boat to attend professional schools. is this the same for other med/dent schools?

i'm also wondering if people currently in professional school and want to apply to another is also subjected to the same treatment...eg in law school and want to apply to dentistry??

Guest elaineli315

For UofT and I guess most other schools, they do require us to finish our thesis and defended etc etc before we enter, but doesn't mean we have to already have our degrees when they look at our application, I guess for most cases they will want prove from the supervisor/grad dept that completion before the September of admission can be guaranteed. Some other medschools will consider deferred admission to give time to finish grad work, but I doubt dental schools will.

For UofT, it's ok for you to apply before you finish your degree, but they do require grad applicant to successfully defence their thesis by mid-August before they start dentistry, since they do not allow double enrollment. And dental school do give deferral to student, as long as you have a valid reason to back up.

Guest predent2003

Hi, sorry I don't know how U of T looks at grad students.

But UBC's admission committee states that they will make no difference between a 3rd year student or a PhD student because all they care is the 3 years of pre-dental education.

However, school like U of Man gives special consideration to applicants with graduate degrees.

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...
Guest Spritzer5

I am a PhD student who applied to UWO Dents last year. I made the cut for the interviews and it was a good experience. Afterwards, they handed me a form stating that I should have all of my graduate school requirements completed including successful defense of my Ph.D. thesis by June 20th. I was not able to have my defense by that date and was not accepted. I will be applying again this year with my Ph.D.:hat

• 3 weeks later...

I am also a 2nd year Masters student at U of T and have applied to UT dent this year. I've looked through most posts here pretty thoroughly, but haven't found much info/stats on grad students getting into UT. Inputs from any MSc/PhD applicants or those who think they have reliable info on how UT looks at grad students would be greatly appreciated!!

Guest elaineli315

I decided to e-mail UofT about the grad school question. They said grad courses will be counted twice in weight when calculating our GPA. I am not sure exactly how that's done tho.

Which Dept. are you in, WK?

hi elaine, I am in pharmacology and higher weighing on grad school GPA is good news to me! I really hope it helps me. What dept are u in? What do you think of your chances?

Guest elaineli315

Hi WK, I am in Institute of Medical Science. Seriously I don't really know my chances. Also, I don't know whether UofT drops the worst year, it is a good question. Are you applying to other schools?

The only other school I applied to is UBC. Some people on this board do say UT drops the worst year if you've done 4, I don't know how reliable that info is though. UBC does that too I think. I don't know how they look at grad students...

Archived