Premed 101 Forums

What do dental students do during the summer?

Guest per te

Hi~

I just spent a great deal of time reading this whole forum from pages 1 to 12 (I found it today while killing time surfing the net an hour or so before my final exam this morning...) ... okay so I skimmed over a bunch of it... but still! :) I was trying to find answers to some of my questions and was glad to find many other people had similar experiences as me. For example, the UBC highschool transcript issue.

Anyways my question is, as the subject says, what dental students do during the summer and how long of a break they get. Do any Canadian dental schools have classes all year long? Is it mandatory to do clinical practice etc? And if this different after each year (1st, 2nd, 3rd)

I'm really curious because my sister is in optometry school in the States and she has classes and clinic stuff all year and has no summer break at all (but after first year she had all summer off)

I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me out. I guess I'm most interested about the schools I applied to this year,

UWO, UofT, UBC, McGill and UofA

Thanks everyone, and good luck to all who have applied this year~

**per te**

Guest LestatZinnie

mcgill and UBC have very short summers (<2 months) for first and second yr. at mcgill from 3rd year on you get a few weeks break every now and then, but no months off like undergrad.

in the summer of years 1 and 2 you can either do a summer research (helpful if you're short of $$ or want tio specialize) or just relax. if you're in dental school, then these summer vacations might be your last for a long, long time before your retirement :)

btw how is optometry in the states? the optometry students in the states get burned really bad at studentdoctor.net :x

Archived