Premed 101 Forums

help with DAT scores

Guest NOURA19

Guest NOURA19

hey everybody,

Well I just got my Dat scores. Since I only studied one week in advance of the Dat, I was not expecting superb grades, and trust me...their not!! But I would like to know what are my chances of being accepted anywhere with a gpa of 3.87 major: Biology (will have my bachelors degree by the end of the year)

DAT:

BIO-19

CHEM-20

SCIENCE TOTAL-19

AA-18

PAT-14 (OUCH!!)

CARVING-16

READiNG-15

THANKS ALOT!!!>: >:

Guest pearlywhitesBC

ha ha... Mr. angry face shows up again! Everyone who uses the "enter" button is going to look like a grouch!

Anyway, your scores aren't too bad....contrary to what you may think! It all depends on where you are applying. Your GPA is quite stellar and that's your main selling point. McGill and UofT seem to focus more on GPA than on the DAT scores. I'm not sure about UBC but they seem to lean a bit in that direction too. The only school where it might matter is UofA - you need a minimum score of 15 on all of the DAT sections to be considered. That's OK though - Edmonton is REALLY COLD! So I wouldn't be worried - my guess is that you're likely to get a couple of interviews. And that's what really makes the difference!

Good luck!!

:)

Guest NOURA19

Thanks alot for the reply.....I was so worried about my DAT grades, I appreciate it. I applied to every dental school in Canada....(except Univ. Alberta---yaaay!)

Thanks alot! :rollin

Guest SharkCatcher

hmm, i know that for mcgill u have to watch out for AA and PAT

look up the percentiles for the scores. if u make the 50th percentile, then you are with those that should feel ok. Otherwise prepare to rewrite the DAT.

Guest toothy jr

UWO is going to tear down the existing clinic this summer or next, and build a new one! So come one, come all!

Yeah, a GPA of 3.8+ ought to give you a free pass to any school, except if you threw cream pies at the interviewers...

(oh, and the obligatory angry face if you choose another school... >: )

Guest Kicoati

Hi all,

Like everyone else, I got my DAT score yesterday. It is not as good as I wish it to be...

Reading 17

Bio 21

Chem 24

PAT 21

Carving 19

My GPA is only 3.6-ish. I really want to go to UWO, but I think they want RCN score 19, is that right?. With my GPA also kind of borderline, can someone tell me whether I have any hope with UWO? How about UofT and McGill?

Also, is 50th percentile somewhere around 18?

I really appreciate your help

Guest toothy jr

The stats for this year's class was 18 as an average score on reading comprehension... so obviously quite a few people got lower than that. If they didn't let someone with good stats such as yourself to the school I'd be angry... >:

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Arg! I haven't gotten my scores yet!

Are the people who got their scores from back east?? I live in Vancouver - maybe they're just taking a bit longer to make their way out here. I was sooooo nervous all afternoon after reading here that the marks were out - but when I got home all I got was a stupid cell phone bill from Telus. What a drag - now I've got all day tomorrow to fret! :eek

Has anyone else in Van gotten their scores yet?

Guest Guyver03

Don't worry pearlywhitesBC, I live in Van too and I still haven't receive my scores yet. I'm expecting the scores to come in tomorrow, hopefully it'll be good news.

Guest Kicoati

Thanks for all who replied my message.

Two more questions for people in UWO... 1) what is the GPA average for last year's entering class? 2) when will they send out invitations for interview/rejection (by e-mail? regular mail?)?

I again appreciate all your help.

Guest tottihead

Hey, Im a bit on the lower end of the applicants, and was wondering how i would fair(at any university, including saskatchewan)

PAT: 18

RC: 18

Science: 19

Soap: 7 (i cant believe it)

do i have any chance of getting in with that disgusting 7? Should i rewrite? My GPA is around 3.4, so im not that high either. Yor advice would be really helpful. Thanks

Guest SharkCatcher

apply to the states. places like university of pennsylvania interviewed me even when i didnt have DAT scores.

buddy if it makes u happier, i have a 5 in carving :smokin

Guest pearlywhitesBC

AAAAAAARRRRGG!!!!!

That stupid angry face....I just can't seem to remember not to hit "enter"! Sorry about that Sharkcatcher....not supposed to be there.

Guest YYCdentboi

My DAT scores:

READING:19

BIO:18

CHEM: 19

ACADEMIC: 19

PAT: 17

CARVING: 28

I am pleased with my carving score, but I am contemplating whether or not I should rewrite based on the "averageness" of my other scores. Will my carving score outweigh the others? Any suggestions?

-Happy with my hands ;)

Guest blingblingdentist

YY, wicked carving score.

I am only applying to UofT and Western, but now I wish I had applied to McGill too. I just didn't feel like writing that essay and filling out the long application they had.

Shark, which other american schoools did you apply to. I figure since you got into an ivy league school (UPENN), you must have gotten into other american schools also. Can you tell me if you went to any other interviews in the States. I am also applying to States this year and if you don't mind can you tell me your DAT and GPA, so I can have a better idea of my chances of acceptance in the States.

Guest SharkCatcher

i only applied to one school, upenn and i applied on the last day, jan something. not something smart to do for the states. if u apply to private schools then u increase ur chances in the states.

my AA, and SC. average are comparable to urs. but like i said, in both my interviews, dat scores were not out.

gpa is nothing to be happy about. i messed up one of my years. its how u present urself in the application.

Guest blingblingdentist

Look at the huge drop in DAT scores between 2006 and 2007 at Western. Toothy, what is the reasoning behind this? I was under the impression that DAT scores have been on the up and up.

Archived