Premed 101 Forums

help with DAT scores

Guest NOURA19

Guest toothy jr

I don't know how they work those stats, but the composite score was 96.4 for 06 and 99.2 for 07, which was actually an increase.

My guess is that DAT scores don't carry you very far at UWO... just get 90-100 range, and the rest is up to GPA and interview.

As for interviews I think they are announced in March, and acceptances in early May.

(not trying to be an ad for the movie "stuck on you" but it seems twins have a good chance of getting in, there are 3 sets of identicals enrolled now >: >: )

Guest Akenney

Hey guys, my DAT scores were:

Reading:23

Biology:19

Chemistry: 22

Academic: 20

PAT: 19

Carving: 28

I'm only applying for U of T and my GPA is about 3.7. what do you think my chances are if I totally blow the interview? (Assuming I get an interview)

Guest Guyver03

Sorry man I still haven't got mine yet. On a side note, my co-worker got his yesterday, his mother told him around 4pm yesterday. But his mother lives in somewhere interior (east), so it might just take one more day to get to Van.

Guest Guyver03

WOOHOOO, I'm so happy, just got my DAT scores today, go check yours pearlywhitesBC

reading comp 20

biology 23

chemistry 24

science total 23

AA 22

PAT 27

Carving 22

My GPA is around 3.5, applying to UBC, UT and McGill

My co-worker has the same AA as me, but 22 on PAT and 28 on carving, this is the best X'mas gift yet, hohohoho:lol :lol

Guest LestatZinnie

great scores guyver

don't worry too much about carving for mcgill as i dont think they emphasize much on that or even look at them. there was a pre-dent program guy who got a 5 on carving and still got in.

Guest Pearly Whites

thx for the info about mcgill! i was so upset this morning when i got the dat marks b/c my carving mark dropped again! hopefully, mcgill wont look at it that much.

btw, pearlywhitesbc, i got my marks this morning so you should be getting yours very soon!

Reading Comp - 22

Bio/Chem/AA - 21

PAT - 20

Carving - 16

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Thanks....

I know they're probably in my mailbox right now but I at work all the way in Burnaby and I live downtown. Oh well, soon enough I guess. I just hate being nervous :\

Hi you guys,

I'm just wondering how you guys got such great carving scores. Did you take any classes for carving? Or do you guys just have inherent manual dexterity skills? :)

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Ahhhhh finally got my scores....

well, I'm fairly satisfied with them but I'm not too fond of my carving score - but I can't say that I am shocked by it...I was way too nervous for that part of the exam. The @#%$ thing is that I had done the exact same carving as a practice the night before (well, except the triangle on the end was carved on all 3 sides) - and it was great (oh the irony). I guess I didn't account for the "shaky hands" factor (tee hee...we must have looked hilarious to the examiners!)

Anyway, my scores are

Reading: 22

Biology: 21

Chemistry: 24

Science: 22

AA: 22

PAT: 20

Carving: 14 0] <---must be what my soap looked like!

Hmmmm...hopefully my GPA (89%) will get me to an interview despite my carving score. Any of you vets out there have any idea (LestatZinnie you seem to be tha woman fo dat!)

Guest predent2003

Nice Scores everyone!!!

I think most of your scores look very decent. Provided that there are a lot more people who reads this forum, but don't feel like writing their scores down, you guys are probably a lot more above average!

Hope we will all get an interview!!

Guest Guyver03

Hey thanks for the comment LestatZinnie. Even thought my GPA is a bit on the boarderline, hopefully they'll look at my DAT score and give me a chance for an interview.

As for the carving skill rez32, you might want to try the DAT tutor at UBC if you're in Van, they teach tricks that you can use at the carving section, so you might want to give it a try. It's not cheap, but still not as expensive as Kaplan or others.

Guest Akenney

Hey rez32, I practiced alot before the DAT, I bought the package from the CDA with the book and 5 soaps during the summer and then I bought the package with 6 soaps and did one per night for 5 days before the exam (I left one for good luck;) ) but I do alot of art, (painting, drawing and sculpting and stuff) so I don't know if that helped... but I timed myself doing the carving- which I found helped alot- I was spending WAY too much time drawing out the pattern (like 20 minutes) so when I practiced getting that faster, the rest was a piece of cake.

Akenney: Ah, no wonder, you're an ARTIST! Carving's like second nature to you, especially since you do sculpting as well. I wonder if I should take some beginner courses on sculpting or wood-working to practice my carving skills... ;)

Guyver: No, I'm not in Vancouver, but I have heard of a company (prepseminars.com) that offers carving classes for $300. Does that sound a little steep to you? I don't even know if it'll improve my carving significantly, but at least I'll have someone else to judge my carvings.

Thanks for the reply you guys!

Guest LestatZinnie

if you can pay to have someone professionally judge your carving (ie a dental student), then the high price is worth it. it's certainly more worthwhile than having to retake the DAT, which is more financially and emotionally burdensome imo.

i spent $50 for a 1h session at DAT tutor and it changed my carving techniques completely (for the better). It's certainly money well spent than having to retake the DAT again.

Guest Guyver03

When I had the tutor at UBC, I took both the carving section and the PAT section, each session is 6 hrs long split into 2 weekends. After that we had 1 mock exam and 1 take home. It costed me $350 for everything. So if only $300 is for the carving only, I would say that's a bit steep. Have you try looking for the carving manual from a U bookstore? It has some useful tips as well, it's from IQ publishing.

Edit:

To improve your carving skill rez32, try to do the whole drawing under 5 min, then spend the rest of the time carving. I have improved my timing a lot when I practices, try to do the middle notch in under 4 min, that way you can have more time to do other ends. Remember to use a digital timer so you can set your pace, and remember to bring a timer to the test, I find that it helps a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest montika23

Hi:

I was just wondering how you got such a good score in the PAT section? I have my exam in Feb and I do not know how to get better in that part. I am really worried since I am really bad in the PAT part. thanks:)

Guest Bigheadbebe

Hi Rez32 & Toronto & Vancouver student:

I asked my tutor and for your info: DAT Tutor is not prepseminars, not Kaplan, not International test prep, not DATprep. Starting in Feb DAT, DAT Tutor is available in Vancouver and Toronto once again. Anyone in Toronto can enjoy their service starting this Jan/Feb for carving tutorials. Cost is low and quality is high. If sufficient student are interested, they may also have PAT session & full course in Toronto. Full course & part of the course, & interview service is available in Vancouver. Just look at the poster around the campus! I am sure you won't miss that if you go to science or health building etc...

On another note, I learned that they are hiring instructor for Feb DAT so for those who got good mark in Vancouver, here is some good pocket money for you... contact them :rollin

Guest yukontim

What do you think my chances are with a low GPA, 3.1, and DAT scores that I'm very happy with:

Reading 23

Bio 21

Chem 21

Science 21

A.A. 22

Carving 28

I'm going back to school to raise my GPA. What are my chances for canadian schools? I'm applying to four western canadian schools.

Thanks

Hi Bigheadbebe,

Thanks for the info, I would definitely be interested in "DAT Tutor". Where would I be able to get more information on signing up? I'm in Toronto, so maybe that's why I haven't seen any poster ads around school.

I'm taking the Nov2004 DAT. Hopefully their services will still be available in Toronto by then!

Guest Kicoati

Hello rez32, are you able to find out about DAT Tutor in Toronto? This evening I saw postings inside UofT campus (the I saw was posted in the athletic centre actually) that they are offering tutorial in Jan/Feb and Sept/Oct. They left their e-mail there tutordat@yahoo.ca

Maybe you already found out, if not, hope this helps. :D

Archived