Premed 101 Forums

Can a doctor dispense meds like a pharmacists and charge a dispensing fee?

goldom1234

I was reading recently that Ontario wants to allow pharmacists to refill meds and give out flu shots. Likely the next step for them is diagnosing and prescribing.

As per CPSO policy, I know as a physician I can compund for my own patients dispense drugs and charge a dispensing fee "that is not excessive"(likely means within pharmacy guidelines) although I "cannot profit" from this(kinda contradictory if they allow one to charge a dispnsing fee)

https://www.cpso.on.ca/policies/policies/default.aspx?ID=4052

One could make the case for a FHT of 5 or so physicians jointly hiring a pharmacy tech who under their supervision would compound/dispense most meds for their patients and charge a dispensing fee for the service. This would provide better patient care and allow one to quickly know what meds a pt has(instead of calling a distant pharmacy whether pt has picked up their opiod script or not last month).

Furthermore, it allows a clinic to get extra revenue, in an era where the future of medicine looks very uncertain.

My question is this: have you seen it done? Would ODSP/private insurance pay the dispensing fee as compounding/dispensing is within a physician's scope of practice?

Thanks for your responses.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Physioprospect
Great idea. Doctors need to fight back at these pharmacists and NPs who believe they can play doctors. Go to med school if you wanna be real doctors. Not good enough? Then don't. I think I'm gonna go on their forum and bash them a little bit..

Your the exact type of doctor wanna-be or doctor that everyone cant stand, get off your high horse. Docs are far from the smartest type of people, I know tons of docs that know **** all, and suck at their job. Last time I went to the doctor for my sinus infection I came out with anti-depressent, T3's and a steroid nasal spray... way to do your job.

Your the exact type of doctor wanna-be or doctor that everyone cant stand, get off your high horse. Docs are far from the smartest type of people, I know tons of docs that know **** all, and suck at their job. Last time I went to the doctor for my sinus infection I came out with anti-depressent, T3's and a steroid nasal spray... way to do your job.

So you blamed the person you quoted who you don't know anything about for being a bad doctor because your doctor gave you medications in response to a clinical context you told us nothing about. Then you say "way to do your job" to the quoted person as if they were your doctor who made the bad calls.

Your post is so idiotic it borders on the legendary. So is the post you quoted however.

With that said, nurses and pharmacists are valuable members of the team and have a unique knowledge base that doesn't supplement, but is rather integral to the team. They aren't trying to be doctors, they are trying to be helpful by advocating for a wider scope which I believe has benefits to an extent.

Guest Physioprospect
So you blamed the person you quoted who you don't know anything about for being a bad doctor because your doctor gave you medications in response to a clinical context you told us nothing about. Then you say "way to do your job" to the quoted person as if they were your doctor who made the bad calls.

Your post is so idiotic it borders on the legendary. So is the post you quoted however.

With that said, nurses and pharmacists are valuable members of the team and have a unique knowledge base that doesn't supplement, but is rather integral to the team. They aren't trying to be doctors, they are trying to be helpful by advocating for a wider scope which I believe has bme.enefits to an extent.

U mis interpreted my post... That other idiot was boasting about how doctors are so amazing and another professional couldn't possibly fill parts of the role... So I gave an example of a very poor doctor.. How you thought I meant that the previous poster was at fault for prescribing me antidepressants and t3's for a simple sinus infection is beyond me.

Archived