Premed 101 Forums

I got a UBC interview!

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Guest Pearly Whites

From what I understand, the only reason we're required to pay the clinical fee in the first two years is actually because a few years ago when the big fee came up, it was decided that it's better to split the cost over the four years so it's easier to get loans, rather than asking to students to pay a huge few during the last two years.

Guest ubcdent

as a past candidate for ubc...here are some of my tips and comments about the interview:

-don't get thrown off by some interviewer's expression...it's there to trick you...

-w/ regards to those mock interviews...i think it's quite useless...although it might be a good practice...but if you rely on the mock questions to prep for the interview...that's a big mistake...and i learned the lesson. cuz if you think you're smart to get the questions...the Fac of Dent is also smart enuf to change the questions....cheating on an exam and how you deal with it is definitely not gonna be in the interview anymore

-mind you...if you don't get a minimum score at the interview...no matter how high your GPA is...they won't even consider/put you on the waitlist

-the 1st question is usually: why dent? tell me about yourself...doesn't count for any krap...

-it's a 3 on 1 interview...2 fac members + 1 student

-say as much as you can for the questions...think for 15 sec b4 answering...think of how you are gonna put what you say together...

-if you get stuck on a question...request that you'll come back to it...nothing wrong w/ that.

Guest Guyver03

Hey thanks for the advice UBCdent. Sounds like you're a veteran with the interview process. Are you applying again this year or wait till your 5th year? Peace out:rollin

Guest ubcdent

Guyver:

how do you know i applied in 3rd year? i'm done next year so i might apply again this year. But good luck to you all...rejection never feels good. But in a way...I'm glad that I'm still where I am. Failure was a good way to reflect on myself---lack of life experience, something that the interviewers are looking for...aways put your answers w/ reference to your experience. That's what the interviewers are most interested...are you able to solve a problem based on past experience?

when they ask Give a situation where you blahblahblah...you've got to be able to GIVE an ACTUAL EXPERIENCE...if you can't answer it...they are going to throw another GIVE A SITUATION WHERE YOU later on in the interview...if you still can't answer that...you are screwed!!!

Out of the 7 questions...I didn't think I answered adequately for any of them. Almost a year now since the interview...I can tell you right now I'm very confident that I can answer all of them in a different way based on what I've experienced over the past year.

Guest Bigheadbebe

Hey Guyver:

Obviously you won't get identical questions in the mock interview practice as I do agree, but I think the questions are structured relatively similar in a way. Just looking at the handout today, I think you will be amazed how much you can learn. They not only detect things to avoid, but even give you a new dimension of thinking when interpret the questions. It will be quite a new experience and gives you extra confidence when you walk into the IRC or hospital on Jan 31 or Feb 7... :hat

Ubcdent, don't give up... with experience you will learn the tricks too! I also know the format has been changed...

Perhaps for those who get in last year, can give some feedback...

I do know few friends who didn't get help for UBC interview last year, they fail. But after they practice with the mock interview, they get into the eastern universities (which has tougher chance for BC candidate!!!)

Guest Guyver03

What you're saying Bigheadbebe is that the interview session with the UBC tutor is good? Are the questions all behavioral based? I had some previous experience with these type of questions when I do co-op, so I'm kinda prepared for them.

Guest Bigheadbebe

Hi Guvyer:

Yes, the questions are behavioral based of course. However, if you request them to do the structured format for preparing for US school etc, I think they will do that for you. To get the most out of it, you should try to taylor few sessions with them as they use different scneario anyway... so lots to learn besides cheating, ubcdent... :P

Well everyone is different, my friend who get into one of the eastern universities last year is poor initially in the mock practice, and she gets a failed UBC score (She was graded in the way below avg category by the tutor during her first tutorial). But she did get more practice before she flies out to her other interviews, and is now she is 1st yr dent.

Perhaps you may need only one practice and do good, who knows... but I will definitely feel the pressure 1st before I walk into the hospital this year!

Guest Guyver03

Oh really, so your friend actually did way better after having a few lessons with the DAT tutor, but just out of curiousity, was it because she didn't know it's behavioral based questions and she got thrown off by the questions? The first time I got these types of questions, I did extremly bad too. Anyway I schduled my mock interview on this coming Sat, the tutor said he's booked, guess lots of ppl are well prepared.

Guest bcdentalgirl

Hi guys,

congrats to those who are getting interviews this year.

Don't overthink the interview. It is not meant to stump you, a great deal of the questions are very straightforward and meant to get you talking...so talk! If you can't think of an example in your life when "such-and such" happened, say so - but follow it up with "but I could imagine what I might do", or "it reminds me of something that happened to a friend of mine and I remember thinking...".

And you know what? if you think of something ten minutes later, say so! Bring it up "oh, back to your question about conflict...I just rememembered a situation that I experienced about a year ago..." As far as I know, you will not get marks off for doing this.

Being nervous is allowed. They KNOW you're nervous. But try to enjoy yourself. Think of it as a trial run, or simply a way of getting to know some interesting people. If you think of it as your one big chance and if you screw it up, your life is over, you are setting yourself up.

Positive thinking, people!

Anyway, I'm no expert. A year ago, I was in your shoes going crazy.

Good luck!

Guest Guyver03

Wow, bcdentalgirl is here, I've read a lot about you and your acceptance, it's quite an amazing story you got. So how did you prepare for your interview just out of curious.

Archived