Premed 101 Forums

I got a UBC interview!

Guest pearlywhitesBC

hey! me too,

mine's on feb 7, i'm disappointed because i wanted to get both interviews done on one weekend to minimize travelling. Does this mean I'm being considered for out-of-province? Hmm....

anyways congrats to everyone and good luck! see you there :)

Guest pearlywhitesBC

you guys are both oop? Well, I'm from Vancouver - my interview is supposed to be on Jan 31st. Now I'm scrambling to change my flight time to Montreal - I can't be on a plane an at my interview at the same time. :\

Guest pearlywhitesBC

That's pretty cool guys - I think they only interview about 8 out of province students in a year (that's what stats from previous years indicates). So you 3 must be the cream of the crop. Be proud!!!!

Guest predent2003

Yay, I got one too!

I'm surprise that they sent out rejection letter at the same time this year.

Mine is on the 31st. Lucky I still have enough time to catch my flight to Montreal after that!

Peraly, if I see the same face here and there, then I know it must be you!

Good luck people!

Guest Kicoati

Congratulations, I am so so so happy for everyone of you - and myself :lol ! I also have my interview on Feb 7th.

Happychica and WK, I am flying from TO as well.

wow they interview that few from out of province?

well i don't think i'm out of province, i'm in-province (i hope)

so you don't have to consider me as one of those few :)

i'm probably being interviewed on the second day since i'm in ontario anyways i'll probably be flying out of toronto as well

per te

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Predent....that's weird. Everyone but us so far is oop. Hmmm...

By the way - how do you know they sent out the rejection letters already? Did some of your friends get theirs?

Guest predent2003

Hey Peraly,

yeah, I feel so bad for my friend who didn't get the interview. But good thing the school told them now so they won't be waiting forever for the bad news.:\

so have you switch your flight yet? I am leaving twon at midnight so I won't miss any interviews, but probably going into Mcgill's interview with a black eye :b

Guest Bigheadbebe

Info for all in & out of town pre-dents:

If you are planning to come to Vancouver, you might want to come a day earlier as there is mock interview services available in UBC... Here is the e-mail from the poster in campus: interviewtutor@yahoo.com

Hope they still have space...

Good luck everyone 8o

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Hey predent..

I was able to switch my flight. It cost me some extra money but that's OK. My interview is at 11:00 am and my flight is at 2:45..might be tight but I'm pretty sure I can make it.

See you there!

woah.....

I just got an email back from Jackie Lee at UBC,

I was asking about whether I was being considered as

BC or OOP.... and she told me that starting this year,

there are no BC and out-of-province admissions -- so all applicants are in the same applicant pool. :eek

Who else knew about this?? 8o

~per te

Guest LestatZinnie

that's a new one...i'm not sure why ubc is doing that. it certainly puts people from BC at distadvantage though because all other universities (except maybe mcgill) all give more seats to in province students.

can someone find out why they're doing this? i have a few speculations but i'd be interested to find out the facts :|

Guest Kicoati

My friend called UBC awhile back and she told me about the change and that's why I applied (otherwise I won't even think about it if only 2 seats are given to OOP).

It might be due to what happened last year that they only got 85 applications in total while they interview 80! (We all know the mistake they made in pushing the deadline a few months earlier). My friend says that this year they are trying to get as many applications as they can so not to have last year's scenario repeated. But it doesn't quite make sense that if this year they avoided the same mistake, sure they will get plenty of applications from BC alone.

On a side note, I don't think UofT discriminates against OOPs, is that right? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

hey

I know for sure the UWO does not differentiate in-province (ontario) from OOPs and it used to be the only school in canada to do that... until now. And UofT only offers 10% to OOP

~per te

Guest LestatZinnie

the UBC mistake you were referring to happened two years ago for the class of 2006. For the class of 2007 the number of applicants was normal (around 200). so i don't know what's their rationale for doing this now. maybe to get a larger pool of applicants from which to make selection? also maybe ubc dentistry doesn't receive as much government funding now (hence high tuition) so that they have more autonomy as to their entrance regulations unlike medicine which has very limited oop seats as dictated by government. just my guesses.:\

Guest predent2003

Hm... I have never heard about this in/out of province issue about ubc before. I always thought they still reserve 90% for in province students.

Also, for those of you interested, the ubc tuition for next coming year has gone down (just a little). The deposit is not 9000 anymore. It'll be $8200 (like there is a difference!!)>:

Well, I guess it'll be more interesting to have more OOP students mixed together so the class diversity will be greater!

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Whoa! A whole 800 dollars less? What a steal! (note sarcasm)

I know that UBC says that they won't discriminate against those who are less financially "able" to afford the high tuition costs - I guess they will help all of the students find the means to pay. But what about the nasty $8200 deposit? Isn't that going to discriminate in some way against people who don't have that kind of money lying around (or people who don't have parents with that kind of money lying around)? I guess they might expect people to run to the bank and arrange for a loan within 2 weeks of hearing they were offered a spot at UBC. Sounds like a big ol' pile of FUN!!

On a side note - I wanted to ask a present UBC student who is in 1st or 2nd year just how much clinical stuff they are doing that they med students aren't. Is there any dentistry-specific training in 1st and 2nd year or do the med and dental students do pretty much the same thing.

Guest predent2003

Hey Pearly,

I have asked UBC about the 8200 dollars. They told me that as soon as we get our letter of acceptance, we can use it to borrow money from the bank. I hope they will talk about this more in the interview day.

I know people from dent. You start you first pre-clinical training from around november of second year. It is basically about disease preventing, taking impression, making models.....etc. Second year don't get to work with 3rd or 4th years. You start your first patient untill like a month into your 3rd year.

Hope that helps!

Guest Guyver03

After a week of sulking about not getting an interview from McGill, I finally found out I got one from UBC. Though it's not my first choice because of their insanely high tuition, I'm going to do my darn best at the interview to wow them. Anyone have any intelligent questions that would great to ask at the interview? I wouldn't want to ask them what their salaries are like (though it would be interesting to know). Cheers.:smokin

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Well, I guess that's not so bad if you can borrow money more easily.

The reason I asked about doing clinical work in the first 2 years is because the med students (who will be doing pretty much the same thing as the dent students for the first two years) have the same tuition but don't have the exorbitant clinical fee tacked on. Just doesn't seem fair that some students have to foot a big bill that they won't even benefit from. I guess it's just an unlucky time to be applying to dentistry at UBC. :\

P.S. WAY TO GO GUYVER!!!! I'm very glad to hear that you got an interview at UBC! Best of luck. :D

Archived