Premed 101 Forums

Now that our Ireland apps are in...

• 2 months later...

Hey! I know this is old but I just saw it and noticed that no one had replied. I'm really excited about the prospect of studying in Ireland too! It's such a great country and similar enough to Canada that moving there won't be that big a deal. Just on the other side of the pond, right? :P I actually had the opportunity to visit around the time applications were due, so I can share some of my thoughts on 3 GEP schools that I saw (didn't make it out to Cork, unfortunately). Everywhere I went, people were SUPER friendly and the students absolutely loved being there.

RCSI:

- LOTS of history, has been matching grads to top Canadian programs since at least the 70s

- small program, class of just over 60 (something like 66?) with nearly half of them from North America

- GEP1 and GEP2 are in towns in opposite directions outside of Dublin, so housing might be slightly inconvenient, however the facilities are GEP dedicated which helps the class bond

UCD:

- feels more like a traditional college campus, which may work for some and not for others

- larger program, I feel like it would be the closest thing to attending U of T's med school

Limerick:

- GEP students (GEMS) can live in residence which is right next to the med school building, both sets of facilities are brand new

- heavy focus on PBL, self-directed learning (again, works for some and not for others)

- campus is in a small town compared to Dublin (there is actually a road with a bunch of farms behind campus), the city of Limerick feels a bit like Kingston, Ontario (at least in my opinion)

- newer program, so not many match stats (yet)

Cork:

- I've heard that the town is beautiful, unfortunately I didn't have time to check it out during my stay

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey! I know this is old but I just saw it and noticed that no one had replied. I'm really excited about the prospect of studying in Ireland too! It's such a great country and similar enough to Canada that moving there won't be that big a deal. Just on the other side of the pond, right? :P I actually had the opportunity to visit around the time applications were due, so I can share some of my thoughts on 3 GEP schools that I saw (didn't make it out to Cork, unfortunately). Everywhere I went, people were SUPER friendly and the students absolutely loved being there.

RCSI:

- LOTS of history, has been matching grads to top Canadian programs since at least the 70s

- small program, class of just over 60 (something like 66?) with nearly half of them from North America

- GEP1 and GEP2 are in towns in opposite directions outside of Dublin, so housing might be slightly inconvenient, however the facilities are GEP dedicated which helps the class bond

UCD:

- feels more like a traditional college campus, which may work for some and not for others

- larger program, I feel like it would be the closest thing to attending U of T's med school

Limerick:

- GEP students (GEMS) can live in residence which is right next to the med school building, both sets of facilities are brand new

- heavy focus on PBL, self-directed learning (again, works for some and not for others)

- campus is in a small town compared to Dublin (there is actually a road with a bunch of farms behind campus), the city of Limerick feels a bit like Kingston, Ontario (at least in my opinion)

- newer program, so not many match stats (yet)

Cork:

- I've heard that the town is beautiful, unfortunately I didn't have time to check it out during my stay

Hope that helps!

I visited UCD as well however, i really got the feeling of York University's campus. Its in suburban Dublin and so has a large campus with lots of space between buildings. The medical building is nice, relatively new.

Archived