Premed 101 Forums

Show me thw way---Pre-Predental

Guest TINAMINADIGA

Guest TINAMINADIGA

Dear Folks,

I am new this Great Decision Makers/Advisers Site.

Tons of thanks to Ian Wong/Contributors.

I have a dream to study Dentistry in Canada.

But the expenses of study is almost discouraging to CTZN/PR holders.

Your site has encouraging ways to overcome the obstacles.

I am a PR holder and studying in Kuwait (Completing 10th grade of Indian CBSE system)

I am looking for right time and place to be eligible for OSAP/Scholarship to cover for high expenses while in univ for 3 plus 4 years.

I have 2 more yrs of high school and for 2.25 yrs my PR status will be valid per new rules. (Landed at Toronto in June 2003).

We r planning to move to ON some time July/Aug 05 and complete 12th grade high school at Toronto/ON to make most out of family togetherness & schooling and be eligible for OSAP as OSAP puts of 12 consecutive months of stay in ON as one of the conditions of eligibility.As Sep 06 I will be in Univ I feel I meet this eligibility criteria.

I wish to acertain thru 2nd /3rd... experienced eye that the decision is right and we r not missing anything.

We will greately appreciate any feedback.

Regards,

TINA..MINA..DIGA

Guest predent2003

I think the key is not to plan everything so idealistically.

Of course it is good to get into dental school after your 3rd year, but not everyone will.

I think if you choose to come back to Canada for just grade 12, you might have a tougher time to adapt to here and do GREAT in first and second year of university. And especially you are choosing to land on the most competitive province in the country!

It is good that you are planning ahead of time, but you'll need to give yourself enough time and tolerance for anything that is unexpected.:hat

Guest byjude

although - wouldn't it be possible to study undergrad in any province in Canada? Not sure how that works with PR status, but if you qualify for OSAP, it should be able to fund your education in any province.

So, while agree that planning out your life years in advance is sometimes expecting too much, if you are worried about competition, you could always do your undergrad in any province after you've landed, could you not?

Guest TINAMINADIGA

not worried for competition rather wish to remain in most competitive environment. As I see the cost of education very high, it does need loan support esp in case of DDS/DMD/MD.

OSAP/Canada Loan eligibility condition as I understand is that One needs to be in the state (Say ON) 12 consecutive months prior to University admission.i.e. for students like us probably should complete 12th grade in Canada to keep loan eligibility valid.

If I take Univ admission directly after 12th, under these rules I may not be eligible for province/Canada loans thru'out my student life.

The loan rules seem to be more or less same for all provinces.

Archived