Premed 101 Forums

Anesthesia Electives

Can people comment on Anesthesia electives?

I am a UBC student and Im trying to decide on a few two week Anesthesia electives to apply for our Pre CARMS electives next Sep-Nov. Any suggestions, good or bad experiences?

Specifically anyone had any experiences at Dal? Im a true blue West Coaster but I'd love to see what its like way out derrr

Also comments on UofA and UofC electives/experiences would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Worth the trip to Halifax - Dal is probably the best organized anaesthesia elective in the country because they place you with a preceptor for 2 full weeks. You're not getting a better reference letter than that from any other school. Plus it's a beautiful city and lots of fun to explore.

I would hazard a guess from friends' experiences that both U of A and U of C are also decent choices, especially if you are Western focused for choice of residency. If you're applying to anaesthesia I think you would be applying broadly, so hit the 2-3 schools you would rank highly based on location, go to Dal and also to Ontario for a visit.

Worth the trip to Halifax - Dal is probably the best organized anaesthesia elective in the country because they place you with a preceptor for 2 full weeks. You're not getting a better reference letter than that from any other school. Plus it's a beautiful city and lots of fun to explore.

I would hazard a guess from friends' experiences that both U of A and U of C are also decent choices, especially if you are Western focused for choice of residency. If you're applying to anaesthesia I think you would be applying broadly, so hit the 2-3 schools you would rank highly based on location, go to Dal and also to Ontario for a visit.

Awesome - thanks CM - I have heard nothing but good things about Dal - will def try to get one out there!

Yes will be casting the net wide - probably apply to all programs but will likely only get one pre-carms out of province 2 weeker in Anesthesia prior to CARMS submission and one more post submission pre interviews/match (December)

PS. r u an anesthesia resident?

Archived