Premed 101 Forums

McGill QY question

I don't know if people who got accepted into their desired programs would come back and hang out here, but I'm gonna ask this anyways in case anyone knows.

For someone who's from a non-rehab science undergrad background, how difficult is it for them to adapt to the QY of PT at McGill? I'm going through the curriculum on their website and realized their isn't much theory courses like biomechanics and anatomy etc.

any help is appreciated!

I don't know if people who got accepted into their desired programs would come back and hang out here, but I'm gonna ask this anyways in case anyone knows.

For someone who's from a non-rehab science undergrad background, how difficult is it for them to adapt to the QY of PT at McGill? I'm going through the curriculum on their website and realized their isn't much theory courses like biomechanics and anatomy etc.

any help is appreciated!

I'm sure it would definitely be more challenging without having previously studied anatomy, physiology, biomech, ect., but definitely manageable! There aren't many spots for the QY, and they favour students with that background but if you have exceptional grades and extracurriculars you probably stand a good chance at getting an offer.

• 5 months later...
There are some QYs in the program that did not come from Kin/Rehab backgrounds and its def possible, it just takes more work. If you do get admitted I would highly recommend spending the summer reviewing anatomy. I did kin and therefore took anatomy classes a few years ago but I still found it a big adjustment to get back into it. The QY year is intensive enough as is, so trying to play catch up on anatomy during it will put you at a disadvantage. Its not impossible, just takes a little bit more effort! Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Hey, I'm in Kin right now, my cGPA is 3.5, I have 1 last semester.

I started off with 2.81 in the first semester, 3.5 in the second, 3,5 in the third, 3.9 in the fourth and 3.9 in the 5th.

If I do good in my last semester, I'll end up with a 3.6.

Do you know if my chances to get in QY PT are good?

I mean, do they look at the last 2 years more than the 1st?

Thanks!

Dr Scully is right. They look at cGPA, so there is no more emphasis put on the last two years than the first two. However, McGill does notice grades on prerequisite like classes, even though they do not have any prereqs:

A higher score is given to the applicant that has performed well in highly relevant courses such as anatomy, physiology and biomechanics.

from:http://www.mcgill.ca/spot/sites/mcgill.ca.spot/files/final_prof_masters_admissions_info_for_2013_2014.pdf

What about this: If I don't get into QY in PT at mcgill, is it possible to do an admission to do an undergrad in PT and then continue on with the masters? I mean taking a second degree? If so, how many spots do mcgill reserve for university students compared to cegep. What cGPA do they look at>?

I know its a longer process, but i figured, since i already did most classes (Kin classes credits most PT classes), I could actually work as a kinesiologist somewhere and make good money, while going to university. And its only 2 years more than if i did get in the QY

Any thoughts?

Hey This is def a possibility but the deadline was march for this upcoming sept. Plus you have had to of taken a whole slew of pre req courses in your undergrad including organic chem and 2 calculus classes (call admissions for exact classes..). I do know of some people who have done the U1 year then reapplied for QY or MPT at other schools and gotten in. So its def a feasible avenue if you have the classes...

Oh ok, I have taken all the pre req classes while I was in CEGEP. I am also finishing my degree in Winter 2014, which is why I am planning on applying for Fall 2014. Thats good to know, thank you!

However, does anyone know what cGPA I would need to do this? (Apply for a undergrad in PT instead of QY if I dont have the grades.

• 5 months later...
Hey This is def a possibility but the deadline was march for this upcoming sept. Plus you have had to of taken a whole slew of pre req courses in your undergrad including organic chem and 2 calculus classes (call admissions for exact classes..). I do know of some people who have done the U1 year then reapplied for QY or MPT at other schools and gotten in. So its def a feasible avenue if you have the classes...

Oh nice, do you know what GPA they had to be accepted in the undergrad program?

Archived