Premed 101 Forums

McMaster med students get notes of advice from alumni in white coat ceremony

I would argue that McMaster has a very open (maybe the most open) admissions process. It's a formula. The only thing questionable about it is the CASPer score, which is about as subjective as an ABS evaluation. If you have a high GPA and high VR score, you're pretty much set for an interview as long as you did >average on the CASPer.

I DEFINITELY agree on the sad reality of not (yet) being on the other side :'(.

I would argue that McMaster has a very open (maybe the most open) admissions process. It's a formula. The only thing questionable about it is the CASPer score, which is about as subjective as an ABS evaluation. If you have a high GPA and high VR score, you're pretty much set for an interview as long as you did >average on the CASPer.

I DEFINITELY agree on the sad reality of not (yet) being on the other side :'(.

Not sure if that's correct...

You're just picking on me tonight aren't you. :(

They're both assessed by humans, are they not?

They are, but you would be very surprised at how good of a picture it gives of strong candidates. The problem with the ABS was that you could have anyone write it for you, and have a lot of time to consider the question. With casper, you have a wider sampling of different scenarios, so you can look at a broader range of the person's characteristics. Plus, since you have such little time, its pretty hard to BS.

Archived