Premed 101 Forums

Advice on Elective Courses

Guest Pearly Whites

Guest Pearly Whites

Hi!

Next year is my final year of my degree and I'm planning to apply in September. Do you think it's a bad idea to take a first year course (say, intro to music, enough though I have an extensive music background) as an elective this summer?

On one hand, it may boost my average and lighten my course load next year. But on the other hand, I'm worried that it'll look bad on my transcript, taking a 100 level course in my final year. Would they look that detail into my transcripts? Should i go for it??

Also, if i'm short on some pre-reqs for McGill (i'm missing 3 creds of bio) will it be too late to take it this September? The lady at the admin office never emails back!!

thanks!!

Guest Francesco1001

I don't believe courses taken during the summer can be counted towards cGPA (however they are considered valid for filling prerequistes).

As for first year courses, I've taken one or two of them every year so that I could get a wide range of Arts courses while getting my B.Sc. (i.e. Philosophy, Psychcology, English, Classics, etc.). I got interviews at both UofT and UWO, so I don't believe there is any bias in taking first year classes during fourth year. It is, however, probably in your best interest to have at least 60% of your courseload at the 4th year level. As I have always taken full course loads each semester, I am not sure how some schools rate years with a less-than-full class schedule.

Hope that helps,

Francesco

Archived