Premed 101 Forums

[Official] Applying to OT 2013!

I'm applying to McMaster, Queen's and U of T - I'm in Montreal...

I'm kind of considering applying to UBC as well as I have all the prereqs, but I'm waiting on this semester's GPA in order to decide if spending $200 on the application will even be worth it.. I was also considering applying to UOttawa but there is so little information available about the program that it is scaring me!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm applying to UBC, UofA, UWO, Queens, and UofT.

I'm from BC and have a 3.9 GPA. I have an honours thesis in psych, and I'm wondering if that research experience will improve my chances of getting in or if it will just end up being irrelevant as most OT programs aren't 100% research based...

hey yogaandtea. I'm an OT student at McGill, and evidence based practice is definitely mentioned throughout our curriculum. although we look at clients as a whole and don't solely use research findings as a recipe to guide our clinical practice, it is very important for the profession to advance. therefore, you should mention any research experience if possible!

I'm applying to UBC, UofA, UWO, Queens, and UofT.

I'm from BC and have a 3.9 GPA. I have an honours thesis in psych, and I'm wondering if that research experience will improve my chances of getting in or if it will just end up being irrelevant as most OT programs aren't 100% research based...

For the CV you have to do for U of T (maybe Queen's as well, not sure since I'm not applying there), definitely write about your research experience - in the ORPAS handbook research and presentations are specifically mentioned as subjects they want to know about on the CV!

For the CV you have to do for U of T (maybe Queen's as well, not sure since I'm not applying there), definitely write about your research experience - in the ORPAS handbook research and presentations are specifically mentioned as subjects they want to know about on the CV!

Thanks otapply, I included both presentations and research :)

hey yogaandtea. I'm an OT student at McGill, and evidence based practice is definitely mentioned throughout our curriculum. although we look at clients as a whole and don't solely use research findings as a recipe to guide our clinical practice, it is very important for the profession to advance. therefore, you should mention any research experience if possible!

Ah, fantastic! I included what I could based on word limits..

You have a 3.9 sgpa? You will get in forsure.

Whoops, I think I calculated it wrong. I have an 86% average in my last 60 credits taken (but these include one 1st year and 1 2nd year course)

and an 85% when I average out my upper year level courses.

I can't seem to find a link with a reliable GPA calculator.. just a few conversion charts that are all different.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Whoops, I think I calculated it wrong. I have an 86% average in my last 60 credits taken (but these include one 1st year and 1 2nd year course)

I can't seem to find a link with a reliable GPA calculator.. just a few conversion charts that are all different.

I don't think the level of the course matter for Ontario's schools.

you need to convert the grade of each course in your 60 credits to 4.0 scale GPA before you calculate an average

hope that helps!

i used this chart when calculating my GPA last year

http://studentsuccess.mcmaster.ca/resources/gpa-conversion-chart.html

I'm applying to UofA only.

-GPA over last 60 credits is 3.89.

-Resident of AB, but went to school in BC.

I have volunteer experience working with a pediatric OT and tons of research experience during my undergrad, which I hated at the time, but am now starting to realize it was probably good I did it!

• 3 weeks later...

Applying to OT at McMaster, UofT, Western, Queens.

Sub-GPA is 3.49 (jumps to 3.53 if you include my Masters grades), but my cumulative is 3.56.

I have research stuff that I did in my undergrad, presentations, a publication, so my application is research & work-heavy. I did some volunteering in a children's hospital but that was quite a few years ago. Although that was when I first got exposure and interest in the OT program, so it was important to me.

I know my GPA is on the low(er) side but I'm hoping the other unique stuff I have will help.

• 1 month later...

I just called the Admissions Information desk at McMaster for OT/PT and the machine said "offers for interview will be emailed out on April the 15th, 2013 in the afternoon". Seems pretty late this year. (I called more than once just to be sure and I'm pretty sure she did say the 15th!! lol)

I just called the Admissions Information desk at McMaster for OT/PT and the machine said "offers for interview will be emailed out on April the 15th, 2013 in the afternoon". Seems pretty late this year. (I called more than once just to be sure and I'm pretty sure she did say the 15th!! lol)

this is completely wrong. emails will be sent out on Friday April 5th.

• 4 weeks later...

As we get soooo close to when we hear back, I am really curious to know where everyone has applied and where they hope to get in!

In order of preference, I applied to: UofT, Dalhousie, McMaster and Queen's.

I did my undergrad in Industrial Design (haha, really not a traditional path to this...) and graduated in 2010. I've been working in the field for 3 years now but really do not find this line of work aligns well with me, so after a lot of thought, volunteering in the field, and completing some courses online I have decided to go for OT :) time for some life changes!!!

So anxious to hear back!!! I am pretty much banking on this to get myself back on a satisfying life track... If this doesn't happen for me my backup is to be crazy, quit my permanent job and go WWOOFing, hahaha.

Archived