Premed 101 Forums

Is it possible?

Guest Raj123

Hey everyone,

Currently, I am 23 years of age, and in my third year of university (transfer student). I really feel that I want to pursue a career in pharmacy, but I have a bit of a dilemma. I never took any grade 12 sciences, so I wont be able to complete the required pre-requistes. Is there any way for me to complete these requirements without having to go back to highschool?

I know many colleges such as Seneca offer a "pre-health science" program in which you complete gr.11 + 12 sciences within a year and you recieve a certificate. Would that be enough to start the pre-requistes? Any help and feedback will be appreciated!

PS. I am interested in the waterloo program.

Thank You! :)

As long as those courses you take in that program are equivalent to the highschool courses, there wont be a problem. I would call the place that offers that course and just clarify with them that it is equivalent. If you're worried about the pharmacy board looking down on the fact that you didn't complete the courses when you were in highschool, dont. All they really care about is your pre-requisite course marks and overall GPA.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I was in the same position as you. You have two options:

1. If you feel like you need to start from high school, you can do the science courses online through ILC.org (they are Ministry of Education approved and it's $40 per course). There are 4-5 units for every course, you need to complete one unit before you can advance to the next unit. After all the units are completed you would need to write a final test. If you work non-stop you could get through a unit in a day or two.

2. You can take the first-year science courses at the school you are at now. I went to UofT and that's what I did (I started out in the arts) and then in third year I decided to take 1st year bio. I will admit I had to do more background research than my peers because it was a completely new topic for me and because I never took it in high school, but I was okay.

To be competitive and feel like you didn't miss out on anything, I would definitely recommend you do the courses through ILC.org. I went one step ahead and started from grade 11 science courses rather than grade 12 (my last science course that I took in high school was in grade 10 lol).

Hope that helps!

Archived