Premed 101 Forums

How many get interviews?

Nvm, I found out. Last year 1900 applied and about 650 received interviews

From the comments of one of the posts (I think 3rd post from the top):

How many interviews are offered? I know last year it was around 644, how does that number get decided on? And how many of those 644 spots are OOP? Thanks!

Dr Ian Walker

Dec 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm

It will be around the same this year. We may decrease the number in the future, as it is somewhat challenging for the lowest scoring applicant coming into the interview to get a spot in the class (they really have to hit the interview out of the park), and we don’t want to be inviting people, having them incur expense if there is not a reasonable chance of success. I did a pretty careful analysis of last year’s crop though, and there were people in the “last 10 invited” who ultimately got in, so 644 is probably an ok number. About 125 to to OOP applicants.

• 2 weeks later...

Do we know the number of OOP applicants from this year? Last year it was 750/1900 (taken from the reference stats on their website). This year Dr. Walker said that there were over 2000 applicants (he wrote 2000+). My logic is, assuming he's not being super lazy, they have somewhere between 2000-2100 applicants this round. If there were 750 OOP out of 1900 last year, there's likely to be ~830 OOP's all competing for the same number of spots as offered last year. Which is anything but comforting...

Do we know the number of OOP applicants from this year? Last year it was 750/1900 (taken from the reference stats on their website). This year Dr. Walker said that there were over 2000 applicants (he wrote 2000+). My logic is, assuming he's not being super lazy, they have somewhere between 2000-2100 applicants this round. If there were 750 OOP out of 1900 last year, there's likely to be ~830 OOP's all competing for the same number of spots as offered last year. Which is anything but comforting...

http://mdadmissions.ucalgaryblogs.ca/

As per Dr. Walker's blog, no emails regarding file review will be sent to OOP applicants. Instead, they are sending out invites/regrets on Feb 1 ish.. these invites/regrets will advise whether or not we got file review.

ie.

1. ya come on and interview with us

2. no we don't want to interview you, but you did get file review

3. no we don't want to interview you because we didn't review your file

Great, thanks. I guess that info was readily available elsewhere, but I'm not actually an applicant myself so I'm not that on top of these things. Just inquiring for someone else.

Archived