Premed 101 Forums

To Dentalangel

Guest rez32

Hi Dentalangel,

I was reading up on past posts on this board and noticed that you go to York U. I'm currently in OAC and am considering on going to York next year. I was hoping that you could tell me about your experiences at York (what you majored in, how you found the profs, the difficulty of the courses, and the learning environment)...it would be much appreciated!! Muchos Gracias in advance!

Guest dentalangel

Hi Rez32, I am not sure what exactly I can tell you of my experience at York that may be helpful since I'm just one person and my experience may be tremendously differently from many other students.

Well I am currently doing a Bachelor of Science in Psychology.

In terms of profs, you have your good and bad professors, just like in high school where you have your good and bad teachers, it really depends on their personality and passion about what they teach. Some profs like to speed read their notes while others do colourful powerpoint presentations and engage the class in meaningful discussion. However, profs always have office hours and you can reach them anytime if you need help or clarification on course material. There are also tutorial leaders assigned who take care most of the marking for a particular course and they are also great sources for help. There are many resources available for first year students, so do not fear any need for help or extra assitance.

University is not as scary as highschool deems it to be, if your willing to put in the effort you are going to see good results. There is just greater responsibility, expectations and time management needed as professors are not on your case about handing in assignments on time or even attending class, in the end your education is what you make it.

As for the difficulty of courses it is a jump from highschool, they say to expect a 10-20% drop of your Gpa from highschool when you enter university. Difficulty of the courses also depend on what you are good at and what you like, so once again what I like and am good at may not be the same for you, but on average the difficulty level is average, with some courses being more difficult than others. The class averages for all of my courses tend to fall around C-C+ averages (However, this may appear to be "poor" grades in highschool, it is the grade of the average university student, however keep in mind not all of them students are fighting for competitive places like dentistry, law and medical school, etc).

The learning environment is very liberal, it encourages original thought, it is not a competitive atmosophere and help is always available when one seeks it.

I'm not sure if I'm the best person to comment on York, however I hope this helps and if you need clarification on anything, just let me know. Good luck :)

Hi dentalangel, thanks so much for your insights; if everyone at York is as willing to help as you've been, I think I'll definitely like it there if I do choose to go to York. Just one more question: what made you choose to go to York instead of another school like UofT? These are the two universities I'm choosing from (have to stay in Toronto) and am having a hard time with the decision. If you have anything to add that might tilt the scales in favour of one over the other, it would be GREAT. Thanks again for all your help already!

Guest dentalangel

Hey Rez, well I did get accepted to both York and U of T, however there were two reasons why I chose York. First it was because I initially wanted to go into Psychology (become a psychologist) and York has the number one psychology program in Canada, the other reason is that I got a scholarship from York. So, perhaps my answers will not help you out too much, but those were the basis for my decision. Good luck :)

Guest dentalangel

Hey Peachy, I'm assuming you also go to York is that right? What year are you in by the way? Did you apply to dentistry this year or previously? If you dont mind me asking, take care - DentalAngel

Thanks a lot to both of you (Dentalangel and Peachy) for all your help... because of your comments, I'm one step closer in choosing which university to go to in the Fall. I wish you both the best of luck in your future pursuits! :)

Archived