Premed 101 Forums

Sorry, another what are my chances thread :S

Hi, I was wondering if someone can give me some insight on my chances at NOSM.

I am a female, born and raised in Elliot Lake (2 hours west of Sudbury), went to a French secondary school in Elliot Lake (I am a francophone). I lived there until 17, when I moved to Ottawa for University. I have a bachelor of Civil Engineering (I calculated my CGPA using the OMSAS chart and got 3.87).

I don't have much volunteer experience, I mostly volunteered for theatre companies for 2 years, I am going to start volunteering for the Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre by the end of this month, and am applying to volunteer for an aboriginal health centre/community centre and the Ottawa Hospital.

I don't have many EC's, I am planning on taking Japanese language courses (not sure if this counts for ECs)

What are ECs I could take to boost my application? (I am planning on playing sports and taking music lessons)

Any help would be appreciated!

Your GPA is very good, and your context should be very good (so long as you have not been out of school for too long) and you're right in that your EC's may need work.

What you're doing sounds good, but its important to pick up things you enjoy and work towards leadership positions, showing you have long-term commitments to things you really care about. What particular activity you do is less important than your role and responsibility, atleast in my opinion.

For ECs concentrate on positions that exemplify leadership and community involvement ... work with vulnerable populations is good. Dont waste your time passing out water at a long term care facility, there are too many applicants doing amazing ECs that low level stuff wont make you shine.

Some of my class mates have done crazy things:

-biked across Canada raising money for a cause (cant remember what for).

- One wrote a textbook that is sold across Canada ... Im not kidding.

- I have a classmate who was a volunteer firefighter (I did this too).

- University level, national athletes.

You name it people did it at a high level. So best to concentrate on the leadership and community involvement ... do things you are passionate about. Starting a Facebook group is NOT a leadership activity :D

If you get some decent ECs together you certainly haev a great chance at an interview. Even without the ECs you probably will get an interview but you will end up being even with people with lower GPAs + better ECs. Because you are competing against ~2000 applicants you need all categories maximized or someone will take a seat from you by a hair.

Beef

Agreed. You sound like you would have an amazing context score and your GPA is very high. I agree with tb123 that the particular activity you do is less important than your role and responsibility. However, NOSM does mention on their site that they are looking for specific experience and interests; namely,

- a demonstrated interest in working with underserviced populations (no matter where they are);

- an ability to identify community needs and willingness to play a part in filling these needs; and

- cross-cultural experiences.

Of course, you can obtain these through non-volunteer experiences (e.g. work), but I personally think it would help to pursue volunteer activities that address these items. I also agree with Beef that leadership experience would be highly advantageous.

Volunteering with the ROH would certainly address these items. The aboriginal health center sounds like an excellent idea. I've heard the Odawa native friendship centre is an excellent place to volunteer. The Wabano center also has numerous volunteer positions and health programs, although they seemed rather disorganized when I was applying to volunteer with them. Mind you they were in the middle of a big move. I've heard from several friends that volunteering at the TOH was a wasn't that good of an experience, mainly because they felt they didn't do much or were of any real use. Not to say that the TOH is a bad place to volunteer with, but you might want to do some research on the volunteer positions that they offer you.

From my own experience, I found CHEO an amazing place to volunteer with. The volunteer manager and my coordinator made me feel valued and were very understanding of my need for a flexible schedule. Keeping the kids entertained and accompanying them into the OR while undergoing anesthetics was also really exciting and a good learning experience as I got to regularly interact with the nurses, anesthesiologists, and surgeons. The whole team was very supportive and gave me great advice for my applications. Further, working with children includes diversity and working with a vulnerable population. Volunteering with the long-term stay unit is also a great experience as the kids really appreciate your company and you can grow a strong bond with them and their family.

The other place I would highly recommend is the Ottawa Distress Centre. First off, this service is addressing important community health and social needs. It also reaches out to rural areas like Grey-Bruce and Renfrew as well, so it demonstrates interest in working with underserviced populations. Further, the clients calling the line are very diverse in age, culture, gender, etc. Most importantly, however, I found volunteering with the DC provided me with a deep appreciation for the extent of suffering to which others are subjected and how simply listening to their stories and acknowledging their feelings and challenges, as well as commending them on their courage and strength in coping with their situations, can positively impact their situation. Further, it builds strong communication skills. The other great thing about the DC is the staff and other volunteers. I find everyone there highly supportive and the staff provide great feedback and help you grow in your helping skills as you continue to volunteer with them.

Sorry for the rant. I hope you find some meaningful and exciting volunteer opportunities, as Ottawa is full of them :D

Oh, one final thing. Reading Beef's post made me think of it. Volunteering with the health and social services advisory committee with the City of Ottawa would be a good demonstration of leadership. I tried finding the link on the internet, but I can't seem to find it anymore. They used to accept applications in January, although I'm not sure if they've changed it. Some of the representatives from the committee even get to attend city hall meetings the odd time to represent the committees concerns and suggestions about health and social services in Ottawa.

Lots of great suggestions here ....

Agreed. You sound like you would have an amazing context score and your GPA is very high. I agree with tb123 that the particular activity you do is less important than your role and responsibility. However, NOSM does mention on their site that they are looking for specific experience and interests; namely,

- a demonstrated interest in working with underserviced populations (no matter where they are);

- an ability to identify community needs and willingness to play a part in filling these needs; and

- cross-cultural experiences.

Of course, you can obtain these through non-volunteer experiences (e.g. work), but I personally think it would help to pursue volunteer activities that address these items. I also agree with Beef that leadership experience would be highly advantageous.

Volunteering with the ROH would certainly address these items. The aboriginal health center sounds like an excellent idea. I've heard the Odawa native friendship centre is an excellent place to volunteer. The Wabano center also has numerous volunteer positions and health programs, although they seemed rather disorganized when I was applying to volunteer with them. Mind you they were in the middle of a big move. I've heard from several friends that volunteering at the TOH was a wasn't that good of an experience, mainly because they felt they didn't do much or were of any real use. Not to say that the TOH is a bad place to volunteer with, but you might want to do some research on the volunteer positions that they offer you.

From my own experience, I found CHEO an amazing place to volunteer with. The volunteer manager and my coordinator made me feel valued and were very understanding of my need for a flexible schedule. Keeping the kids entertained and accompanying them into the OR while undergoing anesthetics was also really exciting and a good learning experience as I got to regularly interact with the nurses, anesthesiologists, and surgeons. The whole team was very supportive and gave me great advice for my applications. Further, working with children includes diversity and working with a vulnerable population. Volunteering with the long-term stay unit is also a great experience as the kids really appreciate your company and you can grow a strong bond with them and their family.

The other place I would highly recommend is the Ottawa Distress Centre. First off, this service is addressing important community health and social needs. It also reaches out to rural areas like Grey-Bruce and Renfrew as well, so it demonstrates interest in working with underserviced populations. Further, the clients calling the line are very diverse in age, culture, gender, etc. Most importantly, however, I found volunteering with the DC provided me with a deep appreciation for the extent of suffering to which others are subjected and how simply listening to their stories and acknowledging their feelings and challenges, as well as commending them on their courage and strength in coping with their situations, can positively impact their situation. Further, it builds strong communication skills. The other great thing about the DC is the staff and other volunteers. I find everyone there highly supportive and the staff provide great feedback and help you grow in your helping skills as you continue to volunteer with them.

Sorry for the rant. I hope you find some meaningful and exciting volunteer opportunities, as Ottawa is full of them :D

Oh, one final thing. Reading Beef's post made me think of it. Volunteering with the health and social services advisory committee with the City of Ottawa would be a good demonstration of leadership. I tried finding the link on the internet, but I can't seem to find it anymore. They used to accept applications in January, although I'm not sure if they've changed it. Some of the representatives from the committee even get to attend city hall meetings the odd time to represent the committees concerns and suggestions about health and social services in Ottawa.

Wow, thank you everyone! I am going to look into the Distress Centre and CHEO, sounds like two great experiences.

I will definitely try to get some leadership roles, I sort of wish I didn't work crazy hours so I would have more time for some volunteering :(

Hopefully I can get that interview, then get accepted!

Lots of great suggestions here ....

Thanks Beef :D Good to know my ramblings aren't entirely jibber-jabber :D

Wow, thank you everyone! I am going to look into the Distress Centre and CHEO, sounds like two great experiences.

I will definitely try to get some leadership roles, I sort of wish I didn't work crazy hours so I would have more time for some volunteering :(

Hopefully I can get that interview, then get accepted!

Check your private messages. Have some contacts for CHEO and the DC.

Archived