Premed 101 Forums

Nserc

peace2012

I have a few questions about NSERC.

I am currently a student looking for NSERC at Mac, does anyone know how should I approach a professor and what are the chances I will get it if I have an approx. 11.2 (~3.9) GPA? Can I also apply to NSERC at U of T for example? and would I be at a huge disadvantage if I applied to a diff. university?

I am currently a student looking for NSERC at Mac, does anyone know how should I approach a professor and what are the chances I will get it if I have an approx. 11.2 (~3.9) GPA? Can I also apply to NSERC at U of T for example? and would I be at a huge disadvantage if I applied to a diff. university?

I assume you are talking about the NSERC USRA program.

You can hold these are any university and if you have a 3.9 and, more importantly, have experience in research (even volunteering) then you have a good chance. The most important thing to do is find a prof that you can impress and be interested in their research.

Your GPA is fine. The best thing to do right now is to read over the professor's research and see if it fits with what you like do to. Remember you will be working as a full-time student and if you receive this scholarship, be sure that you want to spend at least 8 hours/day in this lab. Emailing or visiting the professors are probably the best ways to approach them. Email and say who you are, year, school, area of study, briefly why you want to work in their lab and your previous lab experiences. Remember to ask them if they are accepting NSERC summer students this year. If you are planning to see the professor in person, it is even better because then you can get a sense of what the lab environment looks like since you will be there for the most of your summer!

I don't think you would be at a disadvantage if you applied to a different university. What matters most is your GPA and previous lab experience.

Hope that helps :)

Archived