Premed 101 Forums

4.0GPA

Guest hhl

Guest plugger

Dude,

Guaranteed is not the word you want to use.....have an excellent chance is perhaps a better phrase. I had a 3.87 from UofT and my dats were mediocre and I'm on the waiting list, but I thought I'd get in for sure since the Gpa is so heavily weighted. I will reapply next year, to UofT with a 4.0 because they will drop my first year....sweet...that should up my chances...but I'm still skeptical. Anyways if you have a 4.0 you shouldn't worry too much about your DAT(especially for UofT) but do study if you prefer Western. I think the other Canadian schools require a strong DAT as well though.

Good Luck to you on wherever you apply.

hey plugger,

May I ask you something? was you 3.87 according to omsas or U of T?

Also, do you need lotsa extracirrics? I'm planning on applying, but I'm also not sure about what's "required" of the resume thanks!

Guest plugger

Dentistry doesn't use the Omsas system, they use uofTs gpa system. My omsas was 3.83(uofT:3.87), and now its 3.89(uofT:3.91) but I won't be applying to med school this year. I applied last year because I realized how few spots dentistry really has to offer. My MCAT was 12, 12, 6 on verbal(I couldn't read fast enough-in fact I only finished 6 of the nine passages and had to speed bubble like 27 questions), and R on the writing section. That 6 was a death sentence for med school. Amazingly I can speak and read english very well-I'm Irish for Christ sakes, but I was not prepared for those passages-the one's I had were psycho.

ON extracurrics: I have over 100 hrs dental shadowing experience, I work 20 hrs a week during the school year(65 in the summer with 2 jobs), I take karate, play the guitar, am part of a fraternity, and help coach a high school cheerleading team(I have no research experience however but not a big deal for UofT dents, I am not interested in research). Not to mention I have a girlfriend of five and a half years--------so I'm no geek, but I'm very busy. I was athlete of the year in high school, part of the SAC, a member of my university's pre dental society. I have at least five years experience in and can coach Rugby(5 years), Hockey(14 years), Soccer(5 years), Cheerleading(7 years), Baseball(5 years). So I really don't have much life experience, yeah right. Now I'm kind of hoping I don't get off the waitlist= I shudder to think about what the heck they were looking for. Anyways good luck and if you have any more questions, shoot.

Plug

Guest plugger

Sorry,

I forgot to add,

All you need for UofT: resume, dat scores, gpa, a personal statement if you wish, then the dumb interview: U know, explain a situation in your life where you experienced cheating- BS like that, not Why do you want dentistry, why not medicine, what kinds of things about the field interest you most, nothing like that. I thought it was rediculous.

Holy crap,

you had all that and you still didnt get in??!

I thought U of T is 70% GPA, 10%DAT, and 20% interview....and I highly doubt you could have gotten 0/20% on your interview, and wasnt the GPA average entering this year's class 3.5??

What the heck is up with that? Btw, how were the Dat's?

Damn plugger, if you cant get in I shouldnt even bother trying....I've never ever shadowed a dentist b4 either...

Guest plugger

No the interview is not automatic, must make the cutoff, but it depends on the applicant pool.

The avg Gpa of the class entering last year(2001) was 3.81

My DAT was Academic-19, PAT-16

I got rocked on the interview- I answered all the questions, but my interviewers were geeks- probably just didn't like me. Screw em.

Plug

Hey thanks for the info plugger...Ill be seeing you more from now on on the boards, since you'll be reapplying to U of T I presume? Ill be takin' the DAT come Nov., so I better get crackin' on the carvin! Btw, have you used Kaplan's book? you like em?

If you dont mind me asking, where did you do you (or are you doing) your undergrade at?

Your posts are quite hilarious man, quite different from the rests of the posters..Reminds me of the movie Trainspotting I saw last week :)

Cheers man

Guest plugger

My friend,

I'm not your avg smart guy. In fact I'm probably the most chill person a dental school will ever see. I did my undergrad at UofT Scarlem. I don't believe in not giving your fellow man a helping hand, the social retards at UofT make me sick. In fact, in my second year I transferred to St George because I got into the pharmacology program and I was home by Christmas....Downtown sucks hard. I think I met 3 decent people in four months. Sure nobody wants to speak english around you when they think you are a big dumb jock...but as soon as they find out you scored a 90 on the midterm they want to buy you dinner....losers. I think the way I look has a lot to do with it...i'm a little intimidating. Eventhough I'm a short guy(five six), I did a lot of body building in high school(naturally) and I weigh like 210. Everyone says my legs look like tree trunks...thanks for the compliment.

In terms of DAT prep....I'm not going to lie....I didn't study at all....I mean I opened the book that comes from the CDA the friday before the test and tried to do some of the perceptual problems....however I didn't do that well on the practice sections....and it shows on the DAT.....I hear either Kaplan or Princeton review are good preps...The science is easy dude......didn't study for a minute and I scored 22 in bio, and 21 in chem...but the 16 in the reading section doesn't look good. I have to start speed reading more...but really its not that tough.. The idiots they sent to administer the test put me in the wrong room so I had to switch and start carving from scratch........hurried and broke the soap.......scored a 3...yeah I know fantastic score eh? I had 18 minutes when everyone else had 35...sometime its hard being me..psyche

Any other questions just shoot.....I have now seen all the BS that comes with applying to dental school.

Cheers

Plug

Guest andinho

I agree w/ plugger, i had five midterms the week of the dat, i spent valentine's day (yeah i suck) and the next day cramming just first year chem, and i got 21 on both science sections. i carved one soap a month before the test and i managed a 15. in other words the dat is no problem compared to the mcat. i bought the kaplan book but i found the science sections too deep compared with what was on the actual test. i guess the PAT section was pretty helpful in terms of the strat to use. good luck with the test

Guest Gator

Man UofT pharmacology?

Dude do I know you? I was downtown as well. Similar situation. 3.88 GPA pretty good DAT's

Waitlisted for UofT and Western. I will go to Western if I get the chance. UofT... is that really in Canada? Man nobody speaks English, unless of course "they" want to use you to cheat off or copy labs, otherwise its stick which each other and ignore the dummy Canadian.

UofT dents is the same man, tons of nips with zero social skills and or personalities. I don't think I could bear another 4 years with the hello kitties, souped up Honda civic cell phone/pager/twoway/three way/four way/tv watch non english crowd.

Are these people actually going to be able to communicate with the patients and make them feel confortable????? Man the are so socially distorted they can't even relate or try to make friends with people outside of each other unless they want to use us

Gator,

I know your post was well-intended but seriously, watch what you say i.e. "tons of nips with zero social skills and or personalities. I don't think I could bear another 4 years with the hello kitties, souped up Honda civic cell phone/pager/twoway/three way/four way/tv watch non english crowd."

I am Asian too, but I'm not like these people. Secondly, even if they did have Hello Kitties/Honda Civics, who cares? Yes they may go overboard sometimes, but thats part of their culture.

And perhaps if you understood where these people came from and what their situation is, you wouldn't be such a jerk.

If you want to know why "nips" (as you so call them) stick together, the major reason is that they feel more comfortable around each other...many of them have just immigrated and may feel intimtated (perhaps 'cause of people like you)...by sticking around each other they can support each other.

If you moved to India, I highly doubt you be socializing with Indians now would you? You'd probably find a group of people who share the same race as you wouldn't you?

And many immigrants are way smarter than us Canadians why? Simply due to how they were raised and what their education system was back at home.

So the next time you make those racist comments, think before you speak, 'cause right now I picture you as one of those bitter, pompous arrogant pricks who's jealous of those who can make it.

P.S. I'd bet that all your friends share the same race as you right? Would you help out a fellow immigrant (since we "ignore the Canadian dummy?" Hypocrisy to its truest my friend.

Guest Gator

Actually I'm not a racist hhl, some of my best friends are Oriental,Indian, Sri Lankan. My alpologizes I didn't know nip was a racist term. Honestly, my Asian friends toss the term around to describe the Hello kitty types, race car types. I figured it meant nip as in Kid(kids are little)( ie acting like kids or immature) I don't know how that translates into a racist comment, but if it does I'm sorry. I figured if my Asian friends were using it that it doesn't make a racial reference. I didn't know man and I'm sorry.

I think they should socialize more, they are smart and thats great. Getting good marks is only one half of the equation, the other half is learning to interact with people. I as others have given up with being friendly because they simply will not converse with others unless there is something they need. The quiet whispering in another language is also a little rude. After all we are all in this together.

Anyways man, good luck to you, again no offense I hope. I see your point and racial stuff is not cool, therefore my apology for the misunderstanding.

Archived