Premed 101 Forums

Job Market Really Not That Bad

dreamerman

I was reading this on the Alberta Health Services website...

"Pharmacists are in demand. We are looking to add to our team of 800 pharmacists who work across the province in hospitals, community health offices, cancer care centres, ambulatory clinics and home care."

link: http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/careers/page422.asp

I would argue that the job market in Alberta is actually quite good. If you also take a look at the salary of a pharmacist 1, in the job postings, 48.81 an hour to start. ~95000$ per year to start is not bad!

If you're willing to move out of the big cities, there are jobs. If you're a competent pharmacist, you will find one... eventually.

Your skills are important, but also the connections. Start thinking about your resume from the beginning, and try getting as much diverse experience as possible. (what I was told by pharmacists and pharmacy students)

Let's just hope these out of provincers stop coming into Alberta which would ultimatley lead to the over saturation of pharmacists. Essentially, thats what happened in Ontario which is why their over saturated now. Im hoping they'll eventually cut the quota of pharmacy students they'll accept per year to help even things out for a while.

Let's just hope these out of provincers stop coming into Alberta which would ultimatley lead to the over saturation of pharmacists. Essentially, thats what happened in Ontario which is why their over saturated now. Im hoping they'll eventually cut the quota of pharmacy students they'll accept per year to help even things out for a while.

Same here. Right now, the enrollment in UBC and U of T is way too high, especially since Waterloo recently started Pharmacy program too. Somebody's got to take some sort of action and cut the enrollment numbers.

200 should be the max at both U of T and UBC. Also, I hate to say it, but people with B/B+ averages should not be admitted. I understand academic achievement isn't everything, but still.

• 2 weeks later...
Same here. Right now, the enrollment in UBC and U of T is way too high, especially since Waterloo recently started Pharmacy program too. Somebody's got to take some sort of action and cut the enrollment numbers.

200 should be the max at both U of T and UBC. Also, I hate to say it, but people with B/B+ averages should not be admitted. I understand academic achievement isn't everything, but still.

exactly, so people with A-, refused from all/most medschools should be admitted so that their back-up plan works out and they dont end being RA's.

I know 1 guy with less den 3.0 and 50th percentile PCAT got admitted into pharmacy last year after they added biochemistry and physical chemistry into their requirements. I dont know you are talking about.

exactly, so people with A-, refused from all/most medschools should be admitted so that their back-up plan works out and they dont end being RA's.

I know 1 guy with less den 3.0 and 50th percentile PCAT got admitted into pharmacy last year after they added biochemistry and physical chemistry into their requirements. I dont know you are talking about.

If you wanted to become a doctor and didn't get in that doesn't mean your 3.7+ GPA gaurentees you a spot in pharmacy. They're looking for people who are actually passionate about the profession; not people who failed miserably at getting into med school so decided to apply to a profession in which they have absolutely no idea what it's even about (in most cases). Hence why I love the concept of U of A's letter of intent. Weeds out alot of those med students that use it as a backup plan.

If you wanted to become a doctor and didn't get in that doesn't mean your 3.7+ GPA gaurentees you a spot in pharmacy. They're looking for people who are actually passionate about the profession; not people who failed miserably at getting into med school so decided to apply to a profession in which they have absolutely no idea what it's even about (in most cases). Hence why I love the concept of U of A's letter of intent. Weeds out alot of those med students that use it as a backup plan.

Sadly, I know some people who are in 1st year of Pharmacy this year... that tried for med school several times. In fact, one person had an MMI at U of A this year, and got rejected, but he had applied to Pharmacy at same time, and got in. Who knows though? Maybe Pharmacy is truly the second best thing for them, and in that case, it is okay if they are admitted to Pharmacy.

Archived