Premed 101 Forums

Question

Guest rs81

I just wrote the MCAT and I have a strong feeling that I did not do that great. Thus, I have decided to explore my options. I still intend on applying to some med schools, but I am also considering applying to dental schools. Would it look bad if I sent two applications to the same school? eg. Sending U of T a med & dental application. I'm assuming that it wouldn't be too attractive, but part of me hopes that it wouldn't matter.

Guest summervirus

Hi there,

Someone asked a similar question in the University of Alberta folder around a month ago. So, I'll tell you what I told him.

From what I understand, you are allowed to apply to both programs -- medicine and dentistry -- at the same time. I know of a student that was accepted to both the medical and dental programs at the same time at the UofA. He completed his fourth year at the UofA (med) this year.

I assume that all the other schools in Canada are similar too. I don't think that they would discriminate against you if you were to submit two applications.

As an aside, I've always been under the impression that the medical and dental admissions are independent of one another. So, the admissions committee will not know that you are applying to both programs unless you wish to disclose it.

Good luck!

Guest bad hombre

hey, i just wrote the mcat and i also wrote the dat in february. i was thinking of applying to both meds and dents until deciding that i prefer meds over dents. since i'm only in my third year, i'm only applying to meds this year, and then applying to both in fourth year if things don't work out. i heard u of t don't care if you're applying to both, since they're different faculties, but if you can get into one odds are that you can get into the other, since they both have strong requirements for GPA (3.84 for meds and 3.81 for dents) and they both weigh that component very heavily.

UWO, on the other hand, may prove a little trickier since the medical and dental schools are integrated under one faculty. i've heard someone (who applied to both) saying they had a dentist interviewing them at the meds interview, and then that the same dentist interviewed them for dents, and that things got messy... you get the picture.

then again, you'll probably be luckier than the afore mentioned sob :) good luck with whatever choice you make...

and remember that the two proffessions are really different and that you should go with what you'll LIKE to do, and not shortchange yourself or society.

hombre

I appreciate the info given by everyone. Thanks a lot! In regards to Bad Hombre's comments, I'm not really too sure about dentistry at the moment (since I don't really know the details about the profession), but I plan on shadowing a dentist to get a feel for the job. I'm just keeping my options open and from what little I know about the dental field, I think I would be suited for it. I guess I'll become more aware of my interest in dentistry (or lack there of) during my shadow experience..........Also, I was wondering whether it mattered if I wrote the DAT in November or February if I decide to apply this year.

Archived