Premed 101 Forums

Anyone work as a physiotherapist or occupational therapist assistant

I've thinking of potential careers for myself and getting into the health care field as an PTA or OTA is something that suits me.

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience in these positions and would be able to offer some insights such as the work environment, pay, and other working conditions (are positions usually full-time, contract, etc)

I was thinking of work as an PTA/OTA for a few years to save up money to go back to school and hopefully become a licensed physio therapist or an occupational therapist. I am not too sure what is in the cards yet but I'm looking to gain some knowledge to before I begin my planning.

Glad you are considering working in the health care field.

I'm a physiotherapist - so I can give you some insight from my point of view, as I work with PTAs in a musculoskeletal clinic (private sector) in Toronto Ontario.

I'm not too clear on the diploma you are thinking of, but some programs vary. I would definitely support getting a PTA/OTA combination degree. This will allow you to work in hospitals, where they only hire people with combined certification.

In addition to hospitals, long term care homes are common work places for PTAs - this private industry can be busy busy and a lot of work. PTs and OTs in these settings tend to assess and then dump treatment (with instruction) on the PTAs shoulders. This can vary but usually involves exercise based treatment with maybe some modalities (like Ultrasound). You may be getting paid per patient in some circumstances.

In private msuculoskeletal settings involves admin and modalities work in a lot of the clinics. Not many PTAs seem that interested in exercise, but if you have a personal training certificate as well or some interest in exercise, you could be used to help with therapeutic exercise. Note in this setting you are competing with Kinesiologists for jobs.

Pay in Toronto varies - I'm not 100% certain, but from my experience PTAs in private clinic are paid between 12$-$18/hr. A lot of clinics try to go on the cheap (I don't like it, but it happens). Now diploma programs probably advertise certain salaries that PTAs can make, these are likely in the public system (and as a result are higher). Long term care homes can pay per patient - which will have you running around a lot for your $$. Regarding salary it tends to start low and slowly rises as you get experience. In Toronto getting in the public workforce is more challenging, but a more stable option than going down the private route in my opinion.

This all said, being an assistant will give you good exposure to the industry and OT and PT occupations.

Let me know any questions or concerns...

Guest Physioprospect

I agree a lot with what the above person stated. I worked as a PTA for 3 yeards in a ortho clinic. It is a very repetative job, if you dont mind that and enjoy client interactions you will like it, but if you need to be mentally stimulated DEFINITELY do something else because theres literally no thinking involved. The physio tells you what exercise to show the client or what modality to put on and thats pretty much all you do. The pay level is difficult to have a future on as well. Best of luck.

Archived