Premed 101 Forums

Would any other UBC PT applicants like to practice mock MMIs with me?

GPA: 3.77 with ~140 hours working with a registered hydro therapist and with PTs in an assisted living home. Hope this is competitive - 3rd time applying with yet to receive an interview! Getting a tad discouraged. :(

UBC seems to keep their grade conversion private so I'm using 3.77 / 4.00 based on the ORPAS calculation of the last 20 credits but I guess for UBC it might be a bit higher because I have all A's in my last 10 upper level credits and only one B in my pre-requisite courses (darn stats!). Last year I applied with two Bs and a B+ in my pre-reqs and didnt get an interview so this year I've bumped things up a bit. Any ideas what we could do to practice for the MMI?:)

That is so brutal! I don't think the date has passed yet so if it's financially feasible for you I would look into McGill - they seem to take a lot of 'surprise' applicants because it seems they look at application materials/interviews a little differently than other provinces. This is very much the case for OT, and it's a very close administration with PT so I would imagine that they're more similar than different.

Ptskye-last years cutoff was 81.74% for UBC's interview.

UBC takes the sub percentage grade if your school did not put a percent on your transcript. The reference letter's don't really come into play unless there is one person who has identical grades between the interview and GPA for acceptance.

Are you sure that all your pre-req courses are accepted??

I would also love to practice for the MMI.

Guest Physioprospect

Same thing happened to me. my school was 95-100. I had an interview with UBC last year, felt it went wonderful and didnt get in, but got in everywhere else I applied, UBC is weird about who they take, my friend got in and he said he bombed the interview (actually didnt answer one of the stations) and had worse grades then me and still got in. I'd hope to go somewhere else if I was you, from the people I know that have gone there really didnt like the program, very cardio-resp based and disorganized which sucks.

Ahh yes I think I read in another post that you were denied with a 3.9 and excellent references. That's very surprising and odd. Sounds like it worked out for the best for you though! Where I'm at right now I will feel very blessed and excited to be accepted at any of the schools.

Guest Physioprospect

Theres honestly not much prep you can do as far as researching etc. The questions are very situational based and just make you think on your feet about your feelings about a specific situation. I.e. is college tuition fees unatainable for too many people and how would you fix this etc. verrrrry random. Best thing you can do I think is just practice being asked random questions and practice formulating thoughts quickly. Its good to do it with random people so you get used to that as well. Actually take the time to make questions, have a minute to read it then answer and critique each other and time it or video tape yourself. Try to come across confident, empathic and genuine. Best of luck.

When I was rejected for an interview I asked what the cut off was because I knew I had the grades for it....I found out that I had a pre-req class was not accepted along with the percent cut-off and my calculated entrance percent.

Chances are both the cut off for an interview is increased and the number of applicants is increased for this year's application cycle.

Archived