Premed 101 Forums

U of T interview grading

Guest Akenney

Guest Akenney

Hey guys, I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the scoring of the interview at UT. There has been discussion about whether each question was graded out of 5. However we do know that the total interview is graded out of 35. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I had 10 questions. So it would be inconvenient to make it out of 35 if each question was out of 5. since I'm guessing that each question isn't out of 3.5 (but who knows- maybe it is), i would think that each question is out of 3 and that there is 5 marks determined by what the interviewers think about you overall. This is what I'm hoping for considering that the average interview score for getting in last year was 29/35. I noticed them writing down 2s and 3s from as far as I could tell, and other people I talked to noticed the same thing. Nobody I talked to had noticed a 4 or 5... however it is possible that we all did poorly on the interview, it is also possible that we didn't really see them write down the number that we thought.

Anyway...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

A.

Guest Bleepo

Hmm ...I wish I could help you there ... For me, one interview only put down checkmarks ... the other interviewer was rather secretive about what he was writing down (comments or marks I really dunno) and kept on covering up his answers with a sheet. Either way, it's good we find out the results in a couple of weeks because the suspense is killing me!

Guest Kicoati

Hi,

I have some different thoughts. I think they may not be simply assigning marks to each question asked. I vaguely see the column on one side of the page printed with categories such as communication, integrity, etc. As we were given situational questions, the interviewers maybe judging us on whether we demonstrate those qualities; in other words, they score us based on their impression on whether we possess those characteristics suitable for the profession.

I don't know what is the maximum score one can get for each category. I do have a 4 and a 5, but also a 1 in something :x

On the other hand, those numbers may just be notes they make for themselves to help them with evaluation using a different system at a later stage, as with checkmarks, symboles, comments, etc.

I saw that my interviewer didn't fill out all the boxes - at least not while I was sitting there.

Someone with more insightful thoughts may correct me?

Ki :)

Hi,

Akenny, did you pass on any questions? If you pass on a question they sometimes sub it with another question. Maybe the 3 extra questions were follow up questions which was them helping you fully answer the question.

In addition, I called up the faculty, the admin lady said there was 7 questions, that is also what other people I talked to who in previous years were themselves interviewers.

I think the check marks on the page were you hitting the correct key aspects they were looking for. If you looked at the header of the interviewers pages, they were title with headers such as Ethical Questions, Critic Thinking Questions...

There are key responses that they look for, which I think help bring quantitative evaluation to the interview score rather then just subjective observations.

Guest per te

hey,

I think there are supposed to be only 7 questions, as JK said. I never found out officially, but I had exactly 7 questions at UofT and at UBC this year (minus all the additional follow-up questions at UBC to clarify my answer) so it would make sense if each question was out of 5 to make a total score of 35. I wish I was able to see my score sheet too, although... being at the opposite end of a long table didn't give me the greatest view ... oh well :P

~*per te*~

Guest Dentist

Yes. I'm sure that there are 7 questions total and few extra questions in case the interviewee doesn't get the point or is confused.

I were asked a lot of questions at UBC. For some questions, I couldn't answer and was confused, then the interviewer turn the page and said "then put it this way..." different wording but same concept & same situations.

At Toronto, I answered all 6 Q's then for the last question, I was sort of stuck and asked them if I could come back to that particular question later. I didn't know there would be only 7 Qs. Interviewer said there are only 7 questions then he 'turned the page' and asked the same question in different way but easier to understand.

So, I'm sure for each question, there are 'back-ups' or 'follow ups'.

I didn't SEE any columns or tick marks... maybe while one asks questions, the other was secretly doing it??

I definitely saw columns and check marks. And unlike a lot of you, I didn't see any number-writing. It was the same case at UBC as well. The funny thing was one interviewer put a check mark, erased it, then put it back on again, then repeated the whole thing again! I am not sure if that was deliberate.

Just curious, how did everyone answer the questions? For those of you that took more than 15 minutes for the entire interview, and took longer than 2 minutes to answer each question, did you try to fit in as many points as possible? for example, one of my question was, what would you do if you know you are going to break a promise to your mom for the 4th time (you've broken it 3 times in the past)? I couldn't think of many things to say other than the obvious points (ie. be honest!). What would you guys have said to that question?

Guest predent2003

I agree with JK and you guys.

I also had only 7 questions. In addition, my interviewer put down number score right away after each question. I got a 4 for the first one and a 3 for the second one. But then I think he noticed that he is exposing the score sheet too much, so he took it back a little and keep it for himself only:rolleyes

The other lady was covering her sheet with a paper all the time, but she only wrote down one thing after each Q, so I assume that was the number.

AKenney~ maybe it was not 2's that you saw, maybe those are 5's!!!;)

Guest Dentist

Guys, this "interview-scoring" talk is going nowhere :D

whatever we saw, either column with tick marks or scoring, let's hope & pray the result is GOOD.

Akenny, yeah 2s you saw could be 5, flip 2, you get 5

why do we have to be JUDGED by NUMBERS!!!

(I know it's inevitable)

hate numbers!!!

for any fellow christians out there, nubmers = 666

you know what I mean. It's the end of day!

Guest Akenney

Hey everyone! :)

I didn't pass on any questions. They did ask more follow up questions for example: how did you deal with that, or what was the outcome in the end, etc... But that was on top of each question

I didn't notice any page with the checkboxes, maybe they were good at hiding that. I was pretty sure that I was asked an even number of questions, but now I'm questioning that... There was a time when one interviewer asked me a question and then said "Oops" and looked at the other interviewer. The other interviewer seemed to be more in charge and just said to continue. Maybe they accidentally asked me 2 questions from the same category, so overall I had 8 questions... I knew I had either 8 or 10 questions, but I thought it was 10 because it seemed like more than 8, but it probably was 8. I just can't wait until the 13th!! I just want to know one way or another...

Thanks predent2003 and dentist! I hope that the 2s are 5s :rollin

by the way, did anyone notice getting a fraction? I could have sworn that he gave me 3.something sometimes, maybe he was just making notes beside so they could discuss it afterwards.

Good luck, and thanks for your input everyone :rollin

A.

Archived