Premed 101 Forums

Dental Officer Training Plan (DOTP)

Guest Adelay1982

Guest Adelay1982

Hello everyone! I'm new to this message board and from reading over all of your comments this seems like great place to share information, questions, concerns etc. about dental school.

I just have a couple of questions regarding the Dental Officer Training Program (Canadian Forces). Is anyone planning on applying for this? I think it sounds like a really good option for me. Students accepted in this program have their education subsidized (includes tuition, book, instruments... plus a monthly salary). Sounds great to me! ;)

Upon completion your DDS/DMD degree you spend an obligatory period serving in the army (something like 4 years) ... practicing dentistry of course.

Does anyone know anything more about this plan? Is it competitive to get into?

I have only applied to U of T this year... and I am soo happy that I've been invited for an interview:D

• 3 weeks later...

I;m also very interested in this program, I went to the reqruitment center and talked to people who are in the program.

Basically, they pay for 3 years, you work for 3 years after, or they pay for 4, you work for 4.

In addition to tuition, you get paid around $36K/year for going to school and working for them in the summer, and when you graduate they pay you $105K to work for them. You can be in a nice base or you could be dodging bullets in Tora Bora. :)

Guest LestatZinnie

are you sure the starting salary is 100k? When I checked a year ago, the starting salary is around 70k, but goes up slightly every year.

I would have chosen the program if I went to UBC, where I'll accumulate >100k in debt. But since I'm now attending a cheaper school, the opportunity cost for serving in the forces after graduation no longer makes it worthwhile. If you're not in a hurry to get into private practice and don't mind relocating alot (one of the dentists I knew did the program- he loved it, his wife hated it due to frequent relocation) then go for it.

The six figure salary is what a person who is working as a dentist told me, and she has been working for 2 years, she said they recently got a raise.

Besides the financial benefit, I just think the army program is for me, I like the discipline and I want to get paid to work out like crazy for 13 weeks.

They changed that, 4 years of work in military for 3 years of tuition, and 5 years of work for 4 years of tuition. It is just changed this year, as I have a colleague just got into that program this year.

Guest Dentist

it's 5 yrs obligatory service for 4yrs tuition??

well... I think it's worth joining the DOTP. You get monthly salary + tuition + equipment

and after graduation, guaranteed job w/ over 100K salary

clinics & equips are already provided by army,

they also pay assistants and everything...

If you live in CF base accomodation, no need to worry about housing, meals etc. They also might give you DND rented vehicle.

so you are saving a lot of $$$. =) :eek

Guest LestatZinnie

yes it seems like a good deal. however you also have to keep in mind that after 5 years of service if you decide to start private pratice, you'd be basically starting from stratch. For me those years would be better utilized to learn the 'business' of dentistry, which they don't teach in school and is probably hard to come by when you're in the army. just mho.

Yeah, but you come out of the army with no debt, and lets say around 350K in your piggy bank, thats enough for a solid house with low mortgage, a solid ride, and your on your way to starting your practice. Plus many dentists don't start their own practice right away, they associate with someone who's retiring in a few years and gradually take over.

Plus you have crazy experience. The only problem I have is that I will probably get married in dental school, and moving around with a wife and potential kid is tough, but its do-able.

Well there is a lot of consideration goes into it, and it is not for everyone, that is for sure. Remember all the tuition and salary you get during school is taxable income. However, each year I think they only accept up to 8, but the number is shrinking, not because of lack of applicants. This year they accepted 4.

Archived