Premed 101 Forums

First Choice

Guest apical meristems

Guest apical meristems

Hi there,

Since I love to visit, I'm asking the question: What school is your first choice?

I've been at the University of Alberta for three years now and it is definitely my first choice.

Later,

apical :)

Guest YYCdentboi

Apical - What makes UofA your first choice? I've been already paid the dep at UBC, but I am still waiting to hear back from U of A. Any advice?

Guest All Good Names are Used

University of Alberta is probably my first choice as well but mostly because I live in Alberta (and didn't already pay $8200 to UBC like you YYC)

I also thought U of S had awesome facilities and the students were nice (except for maybe my interview panel):rolleyes

Havn't been to Manitoba yet but i've herd good things about it and wouldn't mind attending there as well if offered!

I think it pretty much in the end will come down to economics for most people(not all), why spend more then you must to get the same education???:D

Guest apical meristems

dentboi,

I have heard great things about both schools.

But what I really like about Alberta is that the first two years are combined with med. My friend is in his third year and he absolutely loves it. I guess I'm kind of biased. Oh, I also like the dent/pharm building. Architectually gorgeous.

What part of Alberta are you from? Year? I'm still waiting for my DAT results, so I really don't know where I stand. Wow, I'm really good at changing the subject.

ciao,

apical

Guest YYCdentboi

I guess I'm really attracted to the city of Vancouver but, I too, have heard good things about U of A - including the fact that it's approx. 60K cheaper for the 4 years!

From Calgary - graduated BSc.

Guest apical meristems

The only thing that scares me about Alberta is the amazingly high admissions averages from last year. They're through the roof! :eek

Do you think they will stay that high?

apical

Guest YYCdentboi

I haven't heard anything about the projected stats of this year's applicants but it seems there is quite a broad range:

Overall GPA 7.6 - 8.8 (Mean 8.66)

Pre-requisite GPA 7.5 - 8.7 (Mean 8.42)

I guess we'll just have to wait and find out! Where are you from?

Guest apical meristems

I am a third year at the U of A. I'm from a city just outside Edmonton, so I just tell everyone that I'm from Edmonton.

Calgary, heh? How was that? The U of A is a pretty good school. The only thing that needs work is our Faculty of Arts. It seems like any funding available for the university is automatically diverted to medical research, science, or engineering.

apical

Guest coilz

Hah lets hope the admission standard is lower this year. I'll need all the advantage I can get :P "All good names are used" said only the top 80 applicants get interviews at UofA? Can anyone confirm that ?

Its funny you say that about the u of a people being evil sometimes, I don't know if your joking or not, but from my own experience it seems as though they are the least friendly bunch in the dental administration business. Western, Manitoba and Sask staff seem so much more friendly, anyone else notice this?

HAHAHA

I'm glad i'm not the only person who has had that kind of experience when dealing with the U of A! It almost feels like they are trying to convince you not to attend their school!:|

Guest babytooth

Regarding the fact that they interviewed 80 people: I was told at my interview on the 20th that they interviewed 75-100 people. I don't know who to believe? But if you said you called them and asked, 80 must be right.

No, last years stats for the people who were accepted to the dental class of 2007!

Edited for a spelling mistake!

Guest DentGirl2004

I was just wondering...I know the cost of schools is a big factor in where people decide to go, but if it wasnt, (haha...don't we wish! :rollin ) what would be everyones first choice, based on where they have interviewed/will interview soon?

I dont know if this is a legit question just because we cannot control cost but for curiosity's sake, just wondering what everyones first choice is!

Mine would be Western! I like their facilities and I wanna stay out East but not go to a school as large as U of T!

:)

I'd go to the school with the best climate! Maybe California or Florida so I could surf every day!:smokin or maybe Harvard, Yale or any other Ivy League (assuming all these have dental schools?)just for the sake of bragging rights and specialization considerations.

Guest babytooth

If tuition was standardized for all dental schools I'd chose UBC because of its location in Vancouver! :smokin I love the city.I figure I'll get a sufficient education at whatever school I go to, so it all comes down to which location is best for me.

Has anyone heard if UBC , UofS or U of M offer better educational experiences than U of A?

Guest babytooth

Hey whatever,

nope, I'm not implying that U of A offers a better education. It would be good news if it did because that's where I'm applying to as well.

Archived