Premed 101 Forums

U of T clinical experience?

Hey all,

I am interested in applying to either the U of T or McMaster PA program, however, I'm unsure of a few requirements....

For U of T, they require 1680 hours of clinical experience, as well as, 2 years of undergraduate study.

My question is how are you supposed to gain this experience with only 2 years of undergrad? I graduated with a BA in Psychology this past May, thus, I don't have any experience (hospitals aren't exactly going to hire people that deal directly with patients with a mere undergrad...let alone psychology).

Maybe I'm misinterpreting these requirements? If I'm not, how would I go about to get the experience needed for admission?

Thank you for the help in advance!

Haley

I think the mindset of UofT is to attract mature students in other professions (technicians, nurses, ect) that are interested in building upon their skill set to be able to practice medicine. While you only really need 2 years of undergraduate work I doubt many people in the class fall into this category unless they've done additional diploma/college certificates that have allowed them to work in health care.

If I apply to the Mac program, what is the likelihood of being accepted? I don't have any experience and I fear I will be competing with nurses, paramedics, and students with science-based degrees

You will be competing with nurses, paramedics, and science students. But that's no reason to be afraid. There are a good number of people in the Program without such a background.

• 2 months later...

I worked with a branch off of the CAS which dealt with behavioural children. I had to work in the 4-bed homes, helping out the foster parent. I also did respites where I stayed in the home for 24 hours with the kids, sometimes longer. I also worked on call for the agency dealing with all the homes in the Hamilton area. A lot of communication with different agencies was involved, as well as a lot of dealings with the police. It was a great experience, and I am still doing it now, just now as often. But just shows that they are not necessarily looking for a medical background for experience, more of just a caregiver role in general.

Archived