Premed 101 Forums

UBC

Guest happychica

Guest happychica

UBC emailed me last week and told me I got in after being rejected......i never thought about the insane tuition when I applied but its making me think twice now....

Now i'm having a hard time deciding whether to give up the offer and rewrite my DAT, then reapply for Uof T next year (I'm from Toronto) or go for it....

Does anyone know how difficult it is to transfer into UofT 2nd year? I know it all depends on whether there is space (if someone happens to drop out or if someone repeats 1st year, but that doesnt seem very likely :( )

Who is actually going to UBC but is from out-of-province???

LestatZinnie- I sent you a pm...

Thanks guys.....

Guest toothy jr

For me, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. How confident are you that you can pull that off? If in the end you pay $50k more that you would if you went to U of T, that's still less than a year's salary. I have also heard that U of T makes you borrow most of the instruments, so maybe you get to keep more at UBC (which is a bargain).

Sure, there's always somebody who drops out or is forced to repeat. But you won't be the only one applying for that spot because there's a handful of Canadians from the states trying to do the same thing.

Guest LestatZinnie

hi happychica:

i sent you back a pm.

i believe you do not buy any instruments at UBC (because the instrument fee is a "lease fee" not "purchase", although you do buy loupes and some other stuff), if i'm wrong please let me know.

despite that, the point of lost wage and no guarantee applying second time are valid.

best of luck! :)

Guest apical meristems

Wow

Congratulations, happychica!

I would jump at an offer like that. Go for it. Rather than waiting another year and gambling, get a head start and make your way to Vancouver. And hey, you'll get to experience a brand new part of Canada and live in a great city, even if it's for four years.

Just my opinion,

apical

Guest happychica

Thanks for the opinions!

That's all I've been thinking about since I got that email....

The only problem (besides the higher tuition) is my bf doesnt want me to go at all...

We've been doing long d for 4 months now...and the thought of another 4 years is just a big no no....

maybe I have to choose one....love or career....

but who says i cant have both? :b

yah...I never lived away from home b4...so maybe this would give me a brand new experience....should be fun (I think).....but I still rather stay in Toronto....

hmmm...still a few more days to decide.... :\

UBC emailed me last week and told me I got in after being rejected
Thanks god, I wasn't the only one in history.....but I declined it last year and went elsewhere.... :b

Guest toothy jr

what's wrong with the UBC waitlist system that would cause this? I wonder if it does have something to do with the outrageous tuition?

Guest kellyl20

Too bad there is no crystal ball. UT would be worth waiting for. My sibling had just graduated from UT's dental school and he has an excellent education from there. My parent teaches at UBC dental school and he agrees! But, you are taking a chance if you turn down UBC. Defer perhaps?

Guest happychica

What if I have one more course to take b4 i can finish my honours degree? Would they allow a deferral for that reason?

I should just call and ask....but I didnt cuz I really doubt that reason is allowable......

Guest Guyver03

Congrat happychica. I do believe that because of the insanely high tuition at UBC, most accepted students have given up their acceptances from UBC and went elsewhere. I'm going to UBC too since it's the only school that accepts me, sadely.

As for deferral, they would only give you a deferred entrance if something major happen to you or your family, such as a car accident or family death, so I don' think completing your honour degree is acceptable. I'd strongly suggest you to take this chance and come to Van to start your dental study now, rather than wait and gamble on next year, since you'll be making $$ at least a year earlier.

As for your BF, you're still young, so don't be blinded by love and prevented from achieving your goal. Cheers. :D

Guest happychica

I decided to go UBC and even with all that thinking I believe that no matter what I would have chosen this path. As for my bf, yep you r right guyver, i am still young and shouldnt be blinded by love :P ....I should work on my whole future first.....

Ill see ya at UBC guyver....im sure it will be fun (in the beginning:lol ....and maybe even later)

4 more years of school! WOW....but Im sure we;ll be so busy that it will just pass by really quickly....

Have you found housing yet? Im from Toronto and have looked at amsrentsline.com.....still looking for a place.... :o

Guest LestatZinnie

i think you made the right decision. there will be hard times but if you make it through it'll all be worthwhile!

i wish you the best of luck! :D

Guest Dentist

Congratulations Happychica!!

you were initially rejected but got in finally!!

it means SO~~ many people refused to go to UBC..??!?!

it's just like the last year and the year before...

do you know your position on UBC's list?

one of my friends was also rejected and haven't heard yet.

Thanks!

Guest happychica

Hi Dentist,

For UBC, the people who were offered admission had a percentile rank of 38 or higher. My rank was in the 30s too so the higher the rank is to 38 the better chance your friend would have of getting a spot if someone else decides not to go there....

Hope it works out well for your friend!

Guest Guyver03

Congrat on you finding a place to stay in Vancouver, happychica. I'm living with my family so I don't have to look for housing. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new life here in Vancouver, especially the summer time, which will definitely help all of us get through the 4 years of pain. :D Cheers.

Guest DentGirl2004

Anyone on the board going to UBC? If so, are you, as a dental student, planning on going on the weekend camp that they sent an email about (Camp Potlach I think)? I heard that it's mostly med students so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Also, anyone tried registering for courses yet on the student services page? Were you successful? Please let me know because I keep getting a message saying "slot full" when I try to add the standard dental timetable.

Thanks a lot! See you soon

:)

Guest dmdgirl

Hi,

I am going to UBC too....but I havent received any email...am I missing something here? :rolleyes

and I remember Jackie said the orientation info would be sent by email last week....I havent received that either....

How many emails have been sent out this month through the interchange email thing?

Thanks.

Guest DentGirl2004

Hi dmdgirl,

Hope you're enjoying your summer! There havent been many emails over the interchange thing lately, but the orientation package came on Friday evening. I'd call Jackie and see what's up, or if you want to PM me, you can leave me your email address and I'll email it to you!

:)

Guest Guyver03

I'm going to UBC too, but I still haven't received anything yet from UBC. Is it because you've attended UBC as an undergrad that you received emails earlier, DentGirl2004? I still have no idea when we will be able to register or get the book list.

Archived