Premed 101 Forums

Best Medium to fulfill the English Requirement

I appreciate the feedback.

I graduated in June 2012 from Queen's and I have been working in Toronto for the past year. Due to an unsuccessful Ontario cycle, I plan on applying to US schools as early as possible for the upcoming cycle. With that said, my transcript lacks that all-important English credit.

My question is, as I have been about a year removed from UG, what would be the best method to take that English req to be considered for US schools? Should I take it in a classroom setting at an Ontario university this summer (would that be ok as I am planning on applying as soon as the app is available)? Or would an online English course at Queen's or even Athabasca (which I could start right away) be a legitimate option?

Thanks again.

I appreciate the feedback.

I graduated in June 2012 from Queen's and I have been working in Toronto for the past year. Due to an unsuccessful Ontario cycle, I plan on applying to US schools as early as possible for the upcoming cycle. With that said, my transcript lacks that all-important English credit.

My question is, as I have been about a year removed from UG, what would be the best method to take that English req to be considered for US schools? Should I take it in a classroom setting at an Ontario university this summer (would that be ok as I am planning on applying as soon as the app is available)? Or would an online English course at Queen's or even Athabasca (which I could start right away) be a legitimate option?

Thanks again.

or Waterloo - they have a DE course as well. That school doesn't record on a transcript if a course was even DE.

Either works of course and I have seen people do either - check to see what you need, e.g., a full credit or a 1/2 credit. You many need more than one course.

not all US schools require an english credit, and some allow it to be substituted with a writing-intensive course. I would suggest doing a bit of research on the list of schools you want to apply to and see which ones definitely need a full ENG credit. Even then you may want to wait a bit, since you need the course prior to matriculation, you might be able to take it in the spring term (or even summer term) in the year of matriculation (and thus you can wait to hear back about interviews/acceptances prior to taking the credit.)

hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
not all US schools require an english credit, and some allow it to be substituted with a writing-intensive course. I would suggest doing a bit of research on the list of schools you want to apply to and see which ones definitely need a full ENG credit. Even then you may want to wait a bit, since you need the course prior to matriculation, you might be able to take it in the spring term (or even summer term) in the year of matriculation (and thus you can wait to hear back about interviews/acceptances prior to taking the credit.)

hope that helps

Does this mean that you can apply to the US school without having completed English, as long as you complete it before you graduate? How will the school know if you have the English credit if it's not on your transcript when you apply?

I did two English courses from Athabasca (ENGL 155 and 255). Both were technically writing courses, but are labelled English on the transcript. They were also quite easy, and were actually beneficial in the long run. They are fairly free-form in terms of timing requirements, and both require a number of assignments (i.e. paragraphs, essays). They also have final exams that are distributed in the city of your choice (and again, are quite easy).

I was finishing ENGL 255 during my application and interview season, and this did not hinder interviews or acceptances. I would recommend them if you prefer a flexible schedule or are looking for a viable alternative to courses at your home institution.

You only need to have prereqs finished before you start med school, so you don't necessarily need it when you apply. You will have to send the school updates after you complete them

Does this mean that you can apply to the US school without having completed English, as long as you complete it before you graduate? How will the school know if you have the English credit if it's not on your transcript when you apply?

I did my two English credits through UNB Online (ENG 1144 and 1146). I had looked into Athabasca as well, but this way ended up being a few hundred dollars cheaper. Both classes were fairly easy - no lectures - basically just "here are the essays you need to write, once those are done, you need to write a final exam". Both had some required readings.

Archived