Premed 101 Forums

Possibility of getting C in English literature, Am I screwed

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

Hello guys!

I am taking a 1st year English literature summer course right now and received D- on my first assignment which is worth 5% of the term, and D on my midterm which is worth 20% of the term. The whole course lasts for a month, and I still have another week left before my final!!! At the moment, I estimate that I will end up getting around C(60%) to B-(68%) range

My overall average is 78.74% which is about 3.2 atm. After taking this course, my overall GPA will drop dramatically. Now, I am so worried that I am screwed for Dental school! I think I am digging a hole for myself!!

Will getting a C in english affect my chance of getting in Dental school (private ones) "dramatically" ?? It worries me even more knowing english is one of pre-req for Dental school. Help!!! I need all the advices/encouragments I can get!!!

The reason that I am doing so bad in this course cuz the summer course is so condensed and I have a full time job at the same time. And I have one of hardest English profs in the English department!! I never receive D on any of my assignment/tests b4 :eek I know english is not my strongest subject but I did pretty well on my last english course (B). I feel so depressed right now! Looks like I am digging myself a deep hole and my chance of getting in Dental school right after undergad is getting really really small I decide to quit my job to focus on this course.

Thanks guys as always!

Guest jughead09

Hey,

First of all, a 3.2 is a great GPA, so be proud of it. Realistically speaking, however, it is not that competative for dental school. With that said, don't feel defeated. Here are a couple of things you can do:

1) Take an extra year of undergrad. Word of advice, do NOT REPEAT COURSES. If you want to improve your mark in a particular course, take it at a HIGHER level. I knew someone who did this and her GPA went up dramatically. It really does help, especially if you are aiming for the Canadian schools.

2) You could apply to the States. You have a better chance there (I think we all do:) and they take other things into consideration, like EC's and whether you have dnetal experience.

Don't ever give up. A 3.2 can be improved on. Try to kick ass on your English final!:D

Guest TheDDSDude

Yo yo what's up, The Dude is back. After a long hiatus...

Ok I'm not sure what year you are in. My understanding is that most schools don't really give a .... about summer school courses, i could be wrong. U of T drops your worst. Uses your best two or something. So make sure your worst isn't your third year if you are applying in fourth year. Take a few bird courses next year to pull up the average, i'm not sure which school u go to either, as you can see I don't read every message here.

If not make sure you rock the DATs and apply to the USA, you'll get in. It will be expensive but if plan A doesn't work, gotta go with Plan B if dentistry is really what you wanna do. It's better to be able to make your dream come true and sacrifice somethings rather than to live a life of what ifs and regret. I only focus on what is.

Buddy don't worry, I got a C in first year chem. Ended up on the DAT, Chem was my best, 26 or something..forgot my dat score but it was the highest score you can possibly get. So don't worry, the DAT is the great equalizer just focus on doing well on it. If Canada doesn't take ya, a more prestigious school in the USA will so long as you do well on it.

A guy i know had under 3.0 got into NYU dentistry. I mean come on, NYU. That's a really well known school yes no?

Expensive as hell, but all the stars go to NYU.

Good luck, i'm sure you'll be fine.

you are only screwed if you screw yourself. If you try EVERYTHING humanly possible and still don't get in. Then you know it wasn't meant to be. Doesn't mean you are screwed just not destined to pursue it and it will be for the better later on. But if you can acheive it, then it goes to show that a lot of strategy and hard work will take ya far.

A lot of ppl will disagree with me, i tell them .... it, it worked for me. So it will work for others.

I would drop it.

If I dropped first year calc, then my GPA wouldn't have been slaughtered in first year, and I'd be in dental school this year rather then playing the waiting game and cursing my calc prof who incidently didn't pass the toefl exam (in my humble opinion).

Drop it and redo it next year, that is if it doesn't show up on your transcript already.

Guest smooth operater

hey thank you guys for the encouragement! I am only a first yr student attending UBC.

It's too late for me to drop it else I will get a F on my transcript. The class will end next week. Too bad i only found my @#%$ results 2 days ago:(

Guest LestatZinnie

NYU is a well known school yes, but it's not exactly famous for being a good school. It's one of those outrageously pricey private American schools that take in lots of students who can't get in public schools. One of my canadian friends who interviewed there (but subsequently went to UBC, this was before the days of tuition increase at UBC) said it was a shoo-in as long as you got an interview there. he was even offered a 2 or 3k scholarship (which hardly makes a dent in the tuition though).

Just go to studentdoctor.net and check out what the American students have to say about it. The views are definitely polarized. I believe they do get a good patient pool though.

Archived