Premed 101 Forums

When should you to research?

BedroomBully11

I think you both have valid points. I agree with Leon that progression probably depicts determination and motivation to "climb the latter" however I do agree with Gunner that they are probably going to ask you "Why not pursue graduate school then"

I am no expert on getting in to Medical School but from the amount of time I have been on this site it seems that most the people who have been matriculated in to Medical School have a variety of activities on their application. I think this overall portrays a student that is determined to acquire a vast amount of knowledge and can overall bring more to medicine.

You both have valid points in my eyes.

I think it's also important to recognize that we don't even know Leon's field of research. Perhaps there aren't opportunities to advance the research in terms of graduate school but maybe there are through MPH route or even CREMS. For 3 years of work, people generally like what they do and may consider research to be a hobby but not their primary focus.

There are too many unknowns and far too much negativity in this thread right now. Let's celebrate, it's interview season after all :).

I think it's also important to recognize that we don't even know Leon's field of research. Perhaps there aren't opportunities to advance the research in terms of graduate school but maybe there are through MPH route or even CREMS. For 3 years of work, people generally like what they do and may consider research to be a hobby but not their primary focus.

There are too many unknowns and far too much negativity in this thread right now. Let's celebrate, it's interview season after all :).

Well you make a valid point. And unfortunately I can not celebrate interview season because I am only eighteen aha and haven't started University for another year. But I am happy for you man and I hope you get in.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know when some of you think the most advantageous time to do research is? For instance, is it better to do research in your first two years and study for the MCAT in your third year? Let me know what you think.

I'll try my best to answer your questions. :)

From personal experience, I started doing research in my first year and continued every semester until my last year. I decided to take my MCAT after fourth year, but my goals were probably quite different from yours. Therefore, if I had wanted to attend medical school right out of undergraduate, I would have written it after my second year.

I loved research, so I made a lot of time for it. But, all of the research I was involved in was independent with my own supervisors. Therefore, if you enjoy research and have the opportunity to do independent or honors projects, I would recommend that approach. It was very beneficial to me.

I hope I helped.

not everything you do to prepare your medical application you're going to like.

Take the MCAT for instance. I didn't particularly enjoy isolating myself alone in an apartment for 2 with only frozen pizzas and ginger snaps to eat while I finalized preparing for the test... but I still did it.

On a related note, I no longer find enjoyment in ginger snaps. Impartial on frozen pizza.

When should you DO** research

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know when some of you think the most advantageous time to do research is? For instance, is it better to do research in your first two years and study for the MCAT in your third year? Let me know what you think.

in general they are going to let you do more stuff in later years. I wouldn't load up your first year with too much ECs, as most students suffer from "WTF is going on" syndrome in their first 1-2 semesters, causing dramatic hits to their cGPA which they fight the rest of their UG days trying to overcome (majority of people in university suffer from this). If you volunteer you may clean glassware. You may move up from that, or you may not.

Get strong academics and apply for summer awards like NSERC USRA's. Then they'll let you do something substantial because you're getting paid to do so (if you find the right lab).

I started doing research the summer between 2nd and 3rd year. Then I was hooked and did it (various paid and unpaid positions) in the same lab until the summer after I finished undergrad.

No this is to all of the people spewing BS onto this forum to keep their own illusions alive. You guys don't know the truth. Keep living in a dream.

Man with all do respect, you share the dream of becoming a doctor with the majority of people on this forum so what differentiates you and me from them? Nothing.

Let them dream big and pray to god they achieve. I am sincerely thankful for the people who have helped me out on this website including you. I went from signing on to this website with my white board titled "Medical School notes" now there is no doubt in my mind that I will need another white board.

All I am saying is there is not a doubt in my mind that you can't become a doctor nor is there a doubt in my mind that anyone on this website can't become a doctor. It takes hard work obviously and people being here, on this website asking questions is the first step to a long a rigorous road ahead. Support them man.

No there are plenty of BS in the pre-med field like the necessity of volunteering and research which medical schools actually don't care about. Do honest think paying $2000 to take some pictures with poor African children for your Facebook profile makes you a better person for medicine? Everyone knows that's a load of BS but many choose to propagate it because they did it too.

So then what does count? We can't assume the majority of people who do volunteering aren't good people. But anyways yes, what does count then?

Doing something because you love it and not for medicine. I swear 99% of this forum are people who are doing ECs specifically for medicine. That's not how it works. You're all whacked!!!!! Look at the picture I posted and think.

Yes man because that is their dream, their passion is medicine. You think every Doctor in the world loved doing research or loved doing volunteering, no your probably right they didn't but did every Doctor in the world love the four years of rigorous academics and studying? Absolutely not.

Regardless if you volunteer because it means something to you or not, at the end of the day the people you helped are still thankful and you get to benefit from it regardless. We have to make sacrifices in this world to achieve the thing's we want most in life.

Read Dr. Benjamin Carson's book called "Take the Risk" I think you will have a completely different perception on this topic.

So you're implying that the majority of doctors are faking just to make it into medicine and that's acceptable because I paid $2000 to pose with some poor African children? I doubt they actually get any of the money people pay to organizations for those over seas volunteering activities?

I am not saying that at all but that is pretty much what your saying?.. All I am saying is you can't love every single thing you are going to do in the journey to become ANYTHING in life. That's all. You have valid points no doubt.

So then what does count? We can't assume the majority of people who do volunteering aren't good people. But anyways yes, what does count then?

The thing is, many people want to volunteer internationally for their own selfish reasons: they either want to travel, or they want it to look good on their applications.

I mean, why go overseas when there are plenty of communities and people here in Canada who need help. First Nations immediately spring to mind, but there are lots of other communities and people, right here at home, who need assistance.

Also, the money spent to travel overseas could be better put to use if that money was donated to an organization that helps others. Giving that money to an organization that works in Africa, for instance, will make a much greater impact than a student using that money to travel overseas to spend however long as a volunteer in an African country.

Just some things to think about.

There is no cookie cutter formula or one size fits all when it comes to ECs, volunteering or research. It's more about doing things that interest you, exploring and trying new things that expand your horizons, knowledge base, understanding of different viewpoints and cultures, developing important traits such as empathy, etc. You will only discover what you like and what you don't by putting yourself out there, and being exposed to different experiences. Some things you will like, other things you will not.

There is nothing wrong with volunteering abroad if you have the money, and want to combine travelling and experiencing other cultures while helping at the same time. Choosing to donate money to organizations can also be risky because at the end of the day, when it comes to alot of organizations not very much of every dollar donated ends up with the people that need it the most, alot of it is tied up with the administration.

It really comes down to the individual and what their morals are, but there isn't really a need to bash people's choices as long as they are helping others and not harming anyone.

• 3 weeks later...
When should you DO** research

Hey guys,

Hey! I'm just going to get back to your original question.

I agree that there's no best time to do research, although the earlier you start, the more chance you have to get even better jobs later.

I wanted to add that writing your MCAT and doing research don't have to be exclusive activities in your summer. Personally, I feel if you spend a whole summer studying for the MCAT and doing nothing else, you've wasted a really great opportunity for a cool summer job!

I wrote the MCAT the summer after my second year, but I also worked full time in a lab with a summer undergrad research grant. It's not for everyone, but it's possible! Do what you think you can handle and what you think you'd enjoy! I'm happy I did both though, because that first research job was crucial to getting my next one.

Archived