Premed 101 Forums

Getting 13-14 on the MCAT VR

silverbullet1

Hey guys,

So my cGPA is 3.33 after UG/Law school/MBA. I also don't have the science prereqs and so my goal is McMaster. Since they only care about VR, that's all I'm shooting for.

But given my cGPA, the only way I have a shot at an interview is getting a VR of about 14. 13 might cut it, but 12 likely won't.

I did well on the LSATs and I read complicated cases daily but I still find myself getting a few wrong in the sample MCATs and scoring 10-11 on them.

Does anyone have any experience targeting the higher score bands? I know there's a lot of advice on here for getting the 10 or 11 when scores are at 6, but I'm starting at 10 and need to get to 14.

Thanks

I found an old book god knows where from

Critical Thinking by Vincent Ryan Ruggeiro

it's rather simple but very explicit about the types of mistakes people make under time pressure... check out my other reads too, i did the LSAT too, it wasn't too bad, barely studied tbh, logic games always seems to **** with a prolific performance though.

Hey guys,

So my cGPA is 3.33 after UG/Law school/MBA. I also don't have the science prereqs and so my goal is McMaster. Since they only care about VR, that's all I'm shooting for.

But given my cGPA, the only way I have a shot at an interview is getting a VR of about 14. 13 might cut it, but 12 likely won't.

I did well on the LSATs and I read complicated cases daily but I still find myself getting a few wrong in the sample MCATs and scoring 10-11 on them.

Does anyone have any experience targeting the higher score bands? I know there's a lot of advice on here for getting the 10 or 11 when scores are at 6, but I'm starting at 10 and need to get to 14.

Thanks

Not to discourage you, but you have to realize that it is extremely unlikely you will score a 13, let alone a 14 or 15. Only 1 in 1000 test takers scores a 14 or better, and to score a 13 you have to be in about the top 1% of test takers. I'd say 13 is more realistic, but still not terribly likely. The key in any case is to practice as much as possible and to closely review each question you answer incorrectly on practice exams. Good luck!

i honestly would put a 100 bucks on the fact that i take 10 aamc's... i'll get 3 15's 3 14's and 4 13's... or above that, he has a good shot, especially if im extrapolating correctly from his background

Not to discourage you, but you have to realize that it is extremely unlikely you will score a 13, let alone a 14 or 15. Only 1 in 1000 test takers scores a 14 or better, and to score a 13 you have to be in about the top 1% of test takers. I'd say 13 is more realistic, but still not terribly likely. The key in any case is to practice as much as possible and to closely review each question you answer incorrectly on practice exams. Good luck!

i honestly would put a 100 bucks on the fact that i take 10 aamc's... i'll get 3 15's 3 14's and 4 13's... or above that, he has a good shot, especially if im extrapolating correctly from his background

I'd take you up on that offer any day - I love easy money.

Archived