Premed 101 Forums

DAT test preparation - English

Guest moz donor

Guest moz donor

Hi people.

Im in 2nd year science. I want to take an English course that would prepare me best for the DAT test. Which one should I take? :S

Thanks

PS. I can't afford to get B or less in the course. that means A+ should be "possible" to get, so that I atleast get an A

AS/EN 1100 6.00 Major Authors in English Literature

AS/EN 1200 6.00 An Introduction to Literary Genres

AS/EN 1250 3.00 A Writer's Introduction to Literary Forms

AS/EN 1300 6.00 Literature and Theory: An Introduction

AS/EN 1310 6.00 Literature and Theory: The Epic Tradition

AS/EN 1350 3.00 A Writer's Introduction to Literary Theory

GL/EN 1520 6.00 The Literary Text: Genres and Approaches

GL/EN 2010 3.00 Introduction to Rhetoric and Composition

AS/EN 2060 6.00 The Grammatical Structure of English

AS/EN 2070 6.00 Approaches to Grammar

see desctiption/more:

inca2.ccs.yorku.ca/rocour...search.htm

>>Select English!

Thank you again in advance.

Guest All Good Names are Used

What I have found with English courses is its not really dependent on the course but the prof that you get. English is such a subjective course and if the prof likes the way you write you do well and if not you don't. To say you can definitely get an A or better in anyone English class would be pretty tuff unless your the kinda person who works yourself into the ground to make sure you get all A's. And as for which would prepare you for that DAT, I would say just practice reading columns and then trying to pick out specific details I don't know if any English classes could help you with that!

Good Luck

Guest Pearly Whites

I agree with Good Names because the English part of DAT is just reading comprehension and it'll probably be more useful to practice with the reading comp section of other self-test aptitude books. the other thing with the reading comp section is to be able to read fast enough to go through all the articles of the test and leave adequate time to choose the answers

Guest moz donor

Aww thanks guys, i think i get it now! But what about grammer and stuff? dont they matter?

Before I come to uni, I never read a page of my text book or a novel. Just notes that we copied off the overhead and watched the movie, instead of the novel lol. but here in university, my first year was an amazing improvment, I read my books cover to cover besides notes. Im way faster than before now in reading but still havent practised writing.

I guess I have 2 more years still to practise, another question that I had was when do we do the DAT exam? Lets say i want to apply for dental scholl after the third year of my university. Is it within the study period or during the summer?

Guest toothy jr

before you engage in an important decision such as choosing an english course for the purpose of DAT, why don't you take a look at some sample questions? My guess is that you have confused it with the writing sample in MCAT. Imagine if you took a tough course, got a bad mark, and realized you didn't even need it in the first place? My suggestion: take a non-english "bird course".

Guest moz donor

where can i find an example of that? Yeah I probably am confusing cause I know someone who did mcat but no one whos done DAT, and he did bad on the english part and amazing on the rest of it.

Guest skiboot

I somewhat agree with toothy. I had somewhat of a disheartening experience with the one full year english requirement for my degree program. The first half of the year, I received an above average grade on papers, assignments, etc., but after coming back from Christmas vacation, for some unknown reason, the instructor was replaced. The new professor simply indicated that the previous one could not continue with her duties and that he would be taking over. Anyhow, needless to say, my grade took a dive in the second part of the course. I met with the prof on a few occasions to discuss the sudden drop, and the only response that I got was that my writing was 'not of above average quality'.

Anyhow, I struggled through the rest of the year and received an average grade, but ended up quite disappointed.

If you really want to take an english course, I'd definitely try to meet with the prof before hand and at the very least, review the required readings / textbooks. If they are of interest to you, then you might also find it easier to get a higher mark. If not, find some other 'bird' course that interests you.

Guest toothy jr

unless the DAT format is changing, you can always go to the cda web site to buy their practice kit (http://www.cda-adc.ca). And before that, just go to a bookstore to browse through DAT study guides. When I wrote it back in the day, all you really had to do was read fast, or have enough of a science background to not need to read thoroughly.

skiboot, sorry to hear of your troubles with the ol' "prof switcheroo". I think it's way too much of a subjective course to guarantee A's. I found that I was able to write in a way more to the liking of my instructor as time went on.

Guest moz donor

thanks every1.... but are you saying that there are no soft copies on the net? :rolleyes

Ive already picked my courses with your advises :D I didnt take english and instead im taking this course "introduction to computers I" because i need social science courses too. It should be an easy one maybe A+ ??

Archived